Linearly independant vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linear independence and how to prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent. This involves solving an equation with the vectors and determining if there is a non-trivial solution. The conversation concludes that the vectors a=2i -2j, b=3j - k, and c = i + 2j +k are linearly independent as the determinant of the coefficients is non-zero.
halfoflessthan5
just a quick one:

Homework Statement

Show that the vectors a=2i -2j, b=3j - k and c = i + 2j +k are linearly independant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What does 'linearly independent' mean and what's the test for it? Its from a really old exam paper so i might just know this theory under a different name.

thankyou :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that the equation x*a+y*b+z*c=0 (where x,y,z are scalars and a,b,c are your vectors) has only the trivial solution x=y=z=0.

Is this right then:

(2i -2j)x + (3j - k)y + (i + 2j +k)z = 0

multiply out and rearrange

(2x + z)i + (-2x + 3y +2 z)j + (z - y)k = 0

comparing is js and ks on each side

2x + z = 0
-2x + 3y + 2z = 0
z - y = 0

as matrices

[2 0 1] [x] = [0]
[-2 3 2] [y] = [0]
[0 -1 1] [z] = [0]

(like in the eigenvalue problem) there is a non-trivial solution only if determinent of the co-efficients is zero

detM= 12

=/= 0

=> vectors a,b,c where linearly independant

Looks right.

thankyouuu

1. What are linearly independent vectors?

Linearly independent vectors are a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be represented as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This means that no vector in the set is redundant and they are all necessary to uniquely define the space.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the linear dependence test. This involves setting up a system of equations using the vectors and solving for the coefficients. If the only solution is the trivial solution (all coefficients equal to 0), then the vectors are linearly independent.

3. Can a set of linearly independent vectors span a vector space?

Yes, a set of linearly independent vectors can span a vector space. This means that the vectors are able to create any vector within the space through linear combinations.

4. What is the significance of linear independence in linear algebra?

Linear independence is important in linear algebra because it allows us to uniquely define a vector space and perform operations on it. It also allows us to find a basis for the space, which is a set of vectors that spans the space and is linearly independent.

5. Can a set of linearly dependent vectors be linearly independent?

No, a set of linearly dependent vectors cannot be linearly independent. If a set of vectors is linearly dependent, it means that one or more vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. This means that they are not necessary to uniquely define the space and are redundant.