Electric field of an electric dipole

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the electrostatic field is conservative and irrotational for an electric dipole. The problem is solved using both spherical and cartesian coordinates, with a discrepancy in the results. However, after further computation, it is determined that the curl of the electric field is indeed zero in both cases.
Emanuel84

Homework Statement

Since the electrostatic field is conservative, show that it is irrotational for an electric dipole, whose dipole momentum is [tex] p [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the components of the electric field in spherical coordinates are:

[tex] E_r = \frac{2 p \cos \theta}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} [/tex]

[tex]E_\theta = \frac{p \sin \theta}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} [/tex]

[tex] E_\phi = 0 [/tex]

so applying the curl is just a matter of calculus, and it's easy to show that
[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = 0 [/tex].

Otherwise, using cartesian coordinates, if I choose the z-axis oriented as the dipole and set the origin in the dipole's center, the components of the electric field are:

[tex] E_x = \frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3 x z}{r^5} [/tex]

[tex] E_y = \frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3 y z}{r^5} [/tex]

[tex] E_z = \frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{3z^2}{r^5} - \frac{1}{r^3} \right) [/tex]

and the curl is different from 0, as one can easily prove, in contradiction with the previous result!

So, my question is:

Did I mistake or miss something? I really can't see what's wrong with this problem, at this time.. :uhh:

Thank you. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a quick computation I made with Mathematica regarding this problem.

As you can clearly see, in one case the curl is 0, in the second one is different from 0.

Attachments

• Electric Field of An Electric Dipole.nb
    10.5 KB · Views: 667
I finally realized Mathematica didn't do all the simplifications! :rofl:

By using Simplify command it comes up that curl(E)=(0,0,0) even in cartesian coordinates, as it should be.

Thank you, anyway!

Last edited:

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a distance, resulting in a net electric field. It can be thought of as a positive and negative charge with a physical separation between them.

2. How is the electric field of an electric dipole calculated?

The electric field of an electric dipole is calculated by summing the electric field contributions of the positive and negative charges, taking into account their separation distance and the direction of the field at each point.

3. What is the direction of the electric field of an electric dipole?

The direction of the electric field of an electric dipole is from the positive charge to the negative charge. This is because the positive charge repels positive charges and attracts negative charges, while the negative charge repels negative charges and attracts positive charges.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the electric field of an electric dipole?

The electric field of an electric dipole is directly proportional to the separation distance between the charges. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the electric field of an electric dipole be zero?

Yes, the electric field of an electric dipole can be zero at certain points along the line connecting the two charges. This occurs when the distance between the charges is large enough so that the electric field strength of the positive charge is equal and opposite to that of the negative charge.