Finding the resultant force

In summary, the question asks for the force needed to overcome friction and cause a block with a volume of 6m³ and density of 2875 kg/m³, and a coefficient of friction of 0.4 when dragged by a light cable attached to a winch with a diameter of 1.4m to accelerate at a rate of 0.4m/s². The force needed is calculated by finding the mass, weight, and then using Newton's second law to add up the forces algebraically. This results in a force of 74589 N needed to overcome friction. The angle for the y-component of the force is not given and cannot be determined with the given information.
monkeyhead

Homework Statement

Hi,
The question I am a bit confused about is this:

A block is dragged across the ground by a light cable,attached to a winch. Th block is initally at rest.

Information given:
Volume: 6m³
Density 2875 kg/m³
Coefficent of friction between block and the ground: 0.4
Diameter: 1.4m

Find the force that must be applied to the block to overcome friction and cause it to accelerate at a rate of 0.4m/s²

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've first got to find the mass right? m=D.V= 2875*6= 17,250 KG

Then I can find its weight. w=m.g = 17,250*9.81= 169,222.5 N

Now I need to find the force acting down on the block right? Fa= m.a
=17,250*0.4= 6900N

And the frictional force acting Frictionalforce= μ*w = 0.4*169,222.5= 67,689N

Then the total force should equal: Tforce=√Frictional force²+Fa²= √67689²+6900²= 68,039.77308 right?

Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Many thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing OK until you add forces.
Newton's seond law states:
[tex]\Sigma F = ma[/tex]
Sigma means add up the forces algebraicly. Squaring stuff is when you have forces acting along x- and y- axes.

So F - friction force = ma
where F=? Frictional force=67689 ma= (17250*0.4)=6900

So F - 67689 = 6900?

Many thanks
Matt

monkeyhead said:
So F - friction force = ma

Yes.

where F=? Frictional force=67689 ma= (17250*0.4)=6900

So F - 67689 = 6900?

Don't really understand what you have written here. But if you solve your last line for F, you and I will get very similar answers.

Would that mean F= 6900+67689=74589? Right?
Many thanks
Matt

The number looks good to me--just slap on units and a direction, and check significant figures, and that's it.

Thanks!
Out of interest, how would I go about finding out the angle?
Many thanks
Matt

Everything done solved for the x- component of the force. No information was given about the y-component.

1. What is the definition of resultant force?

The resultant force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is the combined effect of all forces acting on an object.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force?

To calculate the resultant force, you must first determine the individual forces acting on an object. Then, use vector addition to find the net force, taking into consideration the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced resultant force?

A balanced resultant force occurs when all forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero. An unbalanced resultant force occurs when the forces acting on an object do not cancel each other out, resulting in a net force that causes the object to accelerate in a certain direction.

4. Can the resultant force be greater than the individual forces?

Yes, the resultant force can be greater than the individual forces acting on an object. This is because the resultant force takes into account both magnitude and direction, and the individual forces may be acting in different directions, resulting in a larger net force.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the resultant force?

Finding the resultant force is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and aerodynamics. It is used to analyze and predict the movement and stability of objects, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and vehicles. It is also essential in understanding the forces acting on the human body during physical activities, such as running or jumping.