Why Does the Measured Force Decrease as Distance Increases in Circular Motion?

In summary, the force exerted on a ruler connected to a spring decreases as the point where the force is measured from increases due to the torque created by the spring being attached at a non-zero distance from the center of rotation. This results in a decreased force measured at a greater distance from the center of rotation.
Ry122
I have a ruler which is connected to a spring that causes the ruler to move in a circular motion around the spring.
When I measure the force with a Newtonmeter at the top of the ruler it is less than it is at midpoint.

So my question is, why is it that the force exerted decreases as the point where force is being measured from increases.
I thought it might have something to do with torque, however
the force is created in the center of circular motion and not at point r, so i don't know if this equation applies or not:
t=f x r.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it would help me if you could explain the setup in a little more detail. It sounds as if you have a spring (coil spring?) attached to the ruler very near the center of the rotation. If it's literally at the exact point, then it can't exert a torque, as you've suggested, but that means the ruler wouldn't rotate, either. The fact that it does rotate means there is a non-zero torque, so your spring must be attached at some non-zero r from the center of rotation. r might be very small, but it can't be zero if the spring is exerting a torque, which is necessary for rotational motion.

That said, once you agree that there is a torque on the ruler, then the first part of your question becomes easier to answer. The same torque produces the forces you measure at the two points on the ruler, so the force will be given in each case as f = t/r (assuming you're measuring the force perpendicular to the ruler). If the second r is twice the first, then the force measured there will be half what you measured at the first r.

Make sense?
- Bruce

Yep that makes sense thanks

What is the difference between force, moment, and torque?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate, change direction, or deform. Moment is the measure of the tendency of a force to cause an object to rotate around a specific point or axis. Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

How are force, moment, and torque related?

Force, moment, and torque are all related to each other through Newton's laws of motion. Force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object, while moment and torque are directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. In other words, the greater the force applied, the greater the moment and torque will be.

What are some examples of forces, moments, and torque in everyday life?

A few examples of forces in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, lifting a book, or pulling a door open. Moments can be seen when opening a door with a doorknob, turning a steering wheel, or using a wrench to tighten a bolt. Torque is often experienced while using a screwdriver, riding a bike, or swinging a golf club.

How do you measure force, moment, and torque?

Force is measured using a scale or a spring balance, which can measure the amount of force being applied. Moment is measured using a torque wrench or a lever arm, while torque is measured using a torque meter or a torque sensor. Both moment and torque are measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m).

What are some real-world applications of understanding force, moment, and torque?

Understanding force, moment, and torque is crucial in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. These concepts are used in designing structures and machines, analyzing the movement of objects, and improving athletic performance. They are also important in fields such as biomechanics, where they are used to study the human body and its movements.