How Do Slit Separation and Width Affect Diffraction Patterns?

In summary, the distance between the maxima increases or decreases when the slit separation or width is increased. The same applies for minima. The formula for the position of the maxima and minima involves the wavelength, separation between the slits, and distance to the screen. By decreasing the slit separation, the maxima move farther apart. However, the reason for this is not explicitly stated in the textbook and further understanding may require additional work or thoughts from the student.
Cenois
Does the distance between the maxima increase/decrease or stay the same when the slit separation is increased? when the slit width is increased? what about if it was minima?

thanks for any help to understand how this works.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cenois said:
Does the distance between the maxima increase/decrease or stay the same when the slit separation is increased? when the slit width is increased? what about if it was minima?

thanks for any help to understand how this works.

You have to show some work or some of your thoughts in order to get helped.
What is the formula for the position of the maxima and minima in terms of the wavelength, separation between the slits and distance to the screen?

i no that by decreasing the slit separation the maxima's move farther apart. My textbook only covered the maxima and its slit separation. also my text didnt cover why it moved farther apart it just said it does. so if you could please help me understand why the slit separation and width affect the maxima and the minima, i will be thankfull.

I don't no how to show more work for a word problem.

1. What are maxima and minima in physics?

Maxima and minima are points on a graph where the slope of the curve changes from positive to negative (maxima) or negative to positive (minima), indicating a change from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. In physics, these points represent the highest and lowest values of a physical quantity, such as velocity or energy.

2. How are maxima and minima used in physics?

Maxima and minima are used to analyze physical phenomena and make predictions about their behavior. For example, they can be used to determine the maximum height of a projectile or the minimum energy required for an electron to escape an atom.

3. What are the mathematical methods for finding maxima and minima?

The most commonly used methods for finding maxima and minima in physics are the first and second derivative tests. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of a function and evaluating the slope at those points to determine whether they are maxima or minima. The second derivative test involves finding the critical points and evaluating the concavity of the function at those points to determine the nature of the extremum.

4. Can maxima and minima occur at the same point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have both a maximum and a minimum at the same point, known as a saddle point. This occurs when the function has a critical point that is neither a maximum nor a minimum, but rather a point of inflection where the concavity changes.

5. How are maxima and minima affected by the variables in a physical system?

The position and values of maxima and minima can be affected by changing the variables in a physical system. For example, in a simple harmonic oscillator, the maximum displacement and minimum potential energy of the system are affected by the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation. In general, changing the parameters of a physical system can result in shifts or changes in the maxima and minima of its associated quantities.