Finding Maximum Values: Using Calculus to Solve Quadratic Equations

• Thread starter ihopeican
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, the question is to find the maximum value of -3x^2-5x+1=0. After attempting to solve it using the quadratic formula, the values of x were found to be -1.85 and 0.1804. However, the maximum value can be found by using the turning point (-b/2a) or by completing the square. With calculus, the maximum value can be easily obtained using derivatives.
ihopeican
Question:
Hello, the question is to find the MAXIMUM VALUE of -3x^2-5x+1=0.

Attempt:

I tried to enter this into my calculate in Polynomial and got two values of x:
x=-1.85
and
x=0.1804

Thankyou!

See following post for attempted answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ihopeican said:
Question:
Hello, the question is to find the MAXIMUM VALUE of -3x^2-5x+1=0.

Attempt:

I tried to enter this into my calculate in Polynomial and got two values of x:
x=-1.85
and
x=0.1804

Thankyou!

I came up with -0.8333333333.

I got this from thinking the maximum value is just the turning point (Ie: -b/2a)

Use the quadratic formula...

Using the quadratic formula to solve that equation will tell you where the value of y is 0. The x-value for maximum y will be halfway between the two roots.

By the way, you really want to find the maximum value of y= -3x^2-5x+1. An equation, like -3x^2-5x+1=0, doesn't have a "value" to begin with!

You can also find the maximum by completing the square in -3x^2-5x+1.

Hmm, read it wrong due to the zero... I agree that the equation doesn't have a value to begin with.

I used calculus to get the maximum, and I get what ihopeican got; x = -0.8333... without calculus, you can get the x value of the midpoint by -b/2a, as ihopeican suggested, or by finding the zeros of the equation and finding the average of their x values, as HallsofIvy suggested. When you get to calculus, you will learn how to use derivatives to get maximums and minimums of lots more equations, not just quadratics. It's fun, easy, and fast. XD

1. How do I determine the maximum value in a dataset?

The maximum value in a dataset can be determined by sorting the data in ascending order and selecting the last or largest value in the set.

2. What is the difference between absolute and relative maximum values?

An absolute maximum value is the highest point in a dataset, while a relative maximum value is the highest point within a particular interval or range of the dataset.

3. How do I find the maximum value in a graph?

The maximum value in a graph can be found by locating the highest point on the graph, either by visual inspection or by using mathematical methods such as finding the derivative.

4. Can there be more than one maximum value in a dataset?

Yes, there can be multiple maximum values in a dataset. This can happen when the data is bimodal, meaning it has two distinct peaks, or when there are multiple values that are tied for the highest value.

5. What is the significance of finding the maximum value in a dataset?

Finding the maximum value in a dataset can provide important information about the data, such as the highest point or peak, which can be useful in making decisions or drawing conclusions about the data. It can also help in identifying outliers or anomalies in the data.