Refrigerator Problem- Could you check my answer?

In summary, the question asked for the coefficient of performance for a refrigerator that needs to chill 1 L of 20 degree C water to 5 degrees C in 1 hour, requiring an extra 8 W of power. The solution involved calculating the work input and heat extracted from the cold reservoir, leading to a COP of 2.18.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

1 L of 20 degree C water is placed in a refrigerator. The refrigerator's motor must supply an extra 8 W to chill the water to 5 degrees C in 1 hr. What is the refrigerator's coefficient of performance?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

8W = 8 J/s * 3600 s = 28,800 J -- this is the work in - Win

1L of H20 has mass 1kg and c=4190 J/kgK

so Q=(1Kg)(4190)(-15) = -62850 J --- this is the heat extracted from cold reservoir - Qc

K= Qc/Win so K = 62850J/28800J K= 2.18

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, didn't mean to post the same question twice

From what I can see your solution is correct, however the answer is nonsensical: a 200% efficiency?! Are you sure that the question is quoted correctly?

Hi Hootenanny,

Hootenanny said:
From what I can see your solution is correct, however the answer is nonsensical: a 200% efficiency?! Are you sure that the question is quoted correctly?

The question was not asking for efficiency; it asked for the coefficient of performance, which can be greater than 1 for a refrigerator (and should be greater than 1 for a good refrigerator).

alphysicist said:
Hi Hootenanny,

The question was not asking for efficiency; it asked for the coefficient of performance, which can be greater than 1 for a refrigerator (and should be greater than 1 for a good refrigerator).
Oh my word, it's been a while since I've worked with any thermo :blushing:. My apologies, of course the COP isn't the same as the thermal efficiency.

I guess I should stop posting so late at night :zzz:.

Last edited:

1. How do I know if my refrigerator is working properly?

The best way to determine if your refrigerator is working properly is to check the temperature. The ideal temperature for a refrigerator is between 37-40 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a thermometer to measure the temperature inside your refrigerator and make sure it is within this range.

2. What should I do if my refrigerator is not cooling?

If your refrigerator is not cooling, there are a few things you can check. First, make sure the temperature control is set to the correct setting. If it is set too high or too low, it can affect the cooling. You should also check the condenser coils to make sure they are clean and free of dust and debris. If these steps do not solve the problem, it may be a sign that your refrigerator needs to be serviced by a professional.

3. Can a refrigerator be repaired?

In most cases, yes, a refrigerator can be repaired. The most common problems with refrigerators are related to the compressor, condenser coils, or temperature control. These issues can usually be fixed by a professional repair technician. However, if your refrigerator is very old or the cost of repairing it is more than buying a new one, it may be more cost-effective to replace it.

4. How often should I defrost my refrigerator?

It is recommended to defrost your refrigerator every 3-6 months, depending on how often you use it. When frost buildup in the freezer reaches about 1/4 inch, it is time to defrost. You can do this by unplugging the refrigerator and letting the ice melt or using the defrost function if your refrigerator has one.

5. Why is my refrigerator making strange noises?

There are a few reasons why your refrigerator may be making strange noises. It could be due to a loose or faulty fan, a malfunctioning compressor, or an issue with the evaporator motor. If the noise is bothersome or unusual, it is best to have a professional look at it to determine the cause and make any necessary repairs.