Exploring Laurent Expansions with Constraints

• Thread starter mathfied
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constraints
In summary, to find the Laurent series for a function with given constraints, you first break up the function into partial fractions and find the constants A and B. Then, you can use these constants to write the function in a simplified form and use the given constraints to find the final answer.
mathfied
i get the idea of the laurent expansion but i get confused with the constraints and how they change the way you work with the expansion.
by now you can prob. tell I am trying to get to grasp with complex analysis as a whole.

for example i have this :

find laurent series for :[itex]\[
f(z) = \frac{z}
{{z^2 - 1}}
\][/itex]

given the constraints:
(a) [itex]\[
0 < \left| {z - 1} \right| < 2
\][/itex] ... (b) [itex]\[
\left| {z + 1} \right| > 2
\][/itex] ... (c)[itex]\[
\left| z \right| > 1
\][/itex]

------------------------------------------------------------
My Attempt: for part (a)

first I break up the function using partial fractions:
[itex]\[
\frac{z}
{{z^2 - 1}} = \frac{z}
{{(z - 1)(z + 1)}} = \frac{A}
{{(z - 1)}} + \frac{B}
{{(z + 1)}}
\][/itex]

[itex]\[
z = A(z + 1) + B(z - 1)
\][/itex]

setting: z=1:
[itex]\[
1 = 2A,A = \frac{1}
{2}
\][/itex]

setting: z=-1:
[itex]\[
- 1 = B( - 2),B = \frac{1}
{2}
\]
[/itex]

[itex]\[
so:\frac{z}
{{z^2 - 1}} = \frac{1}
{{2(z - 1)}} + \frac{1}
{{2(z + 1)}}
\]
[/itex]

so for: 0 < |z-1| < 2:
[itex]\[
\begin{gathered}
\frac{1}
{{2(z - 1)}} + \frac{1}
{{2(z + 1)}} \hfill \\
= \frac{1}
{{2(z - 1)}} + \frac{1}
{2}\left[ {\frac{1}
{{2 - ( - (z - 1)}}} \right] \hfill \\
= \frac{1}
{{2(z - 1)}} + \frac{1}
{2}\frac{1}
{2}\left[ {\frac{1}
{{1 - \left[ { - (\frac{{z - 1}}
{2})} \right]}}} \right] \hfill \\
= \frac{1}
{{2(z - 1)}} + \frac{1}
{4}\left[ {\frac{1}
{{1 - \left[ { - (\frac{{z - 1}}
{2})} \right]}}} \right] \hfill \\
= \frac{1}
{{2(z - 1)}} + \frac{1}
{4}\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\left[ {( - 1)^n \frac{{(z - 1)^n }}
{{2^n }}} \right]} \hfill \\
\frac{1}
{{2(z - 1)}} + \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\left[ {( - 1)^n \frac{{(z - 1)^n }}
{{2^{n + 2} }}} \right]} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
\]
[/itex]

is this correct? I'm predicting that i may have missed out two parts:
1) the first part of the final equation : 1/2(z-1) : can this be simplified and integrated into the sum formula?

2) the constraint for part (a) was 0 < |z-1| < 2. I didn't know how to interpret |z-1| being between 0 and 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the other two parts - the constraints are (part (b) |z+1|>2 , part (c) |z|>1) - please could you advise me on how the constraints are meant to be used and how the final answer changes? is there a trick to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (b), the Laurent series for your function is:\[f(z) = \frac{z}{{z^2 - 1}} = \frac{A}{(z+1)} + \frac{B}{(z-1)} = \frac{1}{2(z+1)} + \frac{1}{2(z-1)}\]where A and B are constants. This can be written as:\[f(z) = \frac{1}{2(z+1)} + \frac{1}{2}\left[{\frac{1}{2-(-(z-1))}}\right] = \frac{1}{2(z+1)} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}\left[{\frac{1}{1-(-(\frac{z-1}{2}))}}\right] \]and then simplified to give:\[f(z) = \frac{1}{2(z+1)} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left[{(-1)^n\frac{(z-1)^n}{2^{n+2}}}\right]\]For part (c), you can simply substitute |z| > 1 into the above equation, giving:\[f(z) = \frac{1}{2(z+1)} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left[{(-1)^n\frac{|z|^n}{2^{n+2}}}\right]\]

1. What is a Laurent expansion?

A Laurent expansion is a mathematical series that represents a complex function as a sum of infinite terms. It is expressed in the form of a power series, where the coefficients of the terms are determined by the function's singularities and the powers of z.

2. How is a Laurent expansion different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes non-negative powers of z, while a Laurent expansion includes both positive and negative powers of z. This allows for a more accurate representation of functions with singularities, such as poles and branch points.

3. What are constraints in Laurent expansions?

Constraints in Laurent expansions refer to restrictions on the coefficients of the terms in the series. These constraints can be used to simplify the series or to satisfy certain conditions, such as analyticity or symmetry.

4. How can constraints be applied to Laurent expansions?

Constraints can be applied to Laurent expansions by setting up a system of equations that relate the coefficients of the terms to each other. These equations can be solved to determine the values of the coefficients that satisfy the desired constraints.

5. What are some applications of Laurent expansions with constraints?

Laurent expansions with constraints have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to model physical systems with singularities, to solve differential equations, and to study complex functions with special properties. They are also used in numerical methods for solving problems in these fields.