Transistor darlington pair question

In summary, a transistor switch works by connecting the collector of one transistor to the positive voltage rail, and the base of another transistor to the negative voltage rail. When the switch is closed, the currents through the collectors of the two transistors are equal, and the transistors are in equilibrium. When the switch is open, the current through the collector of the first transistor is greater than the current through the collector of the second, and the transistors are in a state of imbalance, turning the lamp on.
likephysics
A bit confused about how it works.
Link - http://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/transis2.htm (3rd fig from top)

The way I understand, transistor TR1's Base-emitter conducts, which fwd biases B-E junction of TR2. This in turn will turn on the lamp, but it won't be really bright.
Once its on, the collector of TR1 is at +Vcc minus the drop across the lamp. This will increase emitter current of TR1, which in turn increases the base current going to TR2, which is amplified and makes the lamp glow even more.
Correct?

Also, why is TR1's collector connected to lamp instead of Vcc?

Engineering news on Phys.org
please observe that the darlington pair is being operated in saturation mode/cutoff mode in quiescent point. The gain of the transistor pair is a fixed value : hfe^2.
when base of TR1 is driven high VBE is > 0.7V hence TR1 enters sat mode, gushing out emitter current. which inturn drives TR2.
The lamp is the load here, it is turned on when current flows through it.
this is possible only if the Darllington pair in saturation to provide a path to ground.
Hope this explanation helps.

likephysics said:
Also, why is TR1's collector connected to lamp instead of Vcc?

I'm puzzled by this too. If TR1's collector were connected to Vcc, then TR2's collector could be brought to about a diode's drop away from ground. As it is, TR1's collector can't go closer than about two diode's drops from ground without taking the transistors out of saturation.

Chandra214 said:
please observe that the darlington pair is being operated in saturation mode/cutoff mode in quiescent point. The gain of the transistor pair is a fixed value : hfe^2.
when base of TR1 is driven high VBE is > 0.7V hence TR1 enters sat mode, gushing out emitter current. which inturn drives TR2.
The lamp is the load here, it is turned on when current flows through it.
this is possible only if the Darllington pair in saturation to provide a path to ground.
Hope this explanation helps.

Initially when TR1 has no base current, its collector is open. Just base current is enough to drive it into saturation? No need for BC junction to be reverse biased?
Now, I can't figure out how a transistor switch works. How can collector current flow when there is no potential at Collector terminal.

Figure the wattage dissipated by TR1 when its collector is tied to +9V. It will unnecessarily be dissipating well over a watt.

Averagesupernova said:
Figure the wattage dissipated by TR1 when its collector is tied to +9V. It will unnecessarily be dissipating well over a watt.

Good point.

likephysics said:
Initially when TR1 has no base current, its collector is open. Just base current is enough to drive it into saturation? No need for BC junction to be reverse biased?
Now, I can't figure out how a transistor switch works. How can collector current flow when there is no potential at Collector terminal.

likephysics , I would suggest you to go through transistor operation @ tpub.com
I have found the explanations simple and accurate.

1. What is a transistor darlington pair?

A transistor darlington pair is a combination of two bipolar transistors that are connected in such a way that the output of the first transistor is connected to the base of the second transistor. This pair is used to amplify weak signals and is commonly used in electronic devices.

2. How does a transistor darlington pair work?

The first transistor in the pair acts as a switch, turning on and off the second transistor. The second transistor then amplifies the signal, producing a larger output signal. This process allows for a high gain and improved performance of the overall circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a transistor darlington pair?

The main advantage of using a transistor darlington pair is its high gain. This allows for a smaller input signal to produce a larger output signal. It also has a high input impedance, making it suitable for use in circuits with low power sources.

4. What are the applications of a transistor darlington pair?

Transistor darlington pairs are commonly used in audio amplifiers, power regulators, and switching circuits. They are also used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and radios.

5. How do I choose the right transistor darlington pair for my circuit?

The choice of a transistor darlington pair depends on the specific requirements of your circuit, such as the desired gain and power output. It is important to consider the type of transistors used, their voltage and current ratings, and their compatibility with the circuit design.