Looking for a self study quantum text

In summary, the conversation is about someone's passion and determination to learn quantum mechanics and their search for the best resources to do so. They have received recommendations for books and have been advised to have a strong foundation in math and physics before attempting to study quantum mechanics. They have also been encouraged to read popular treatments of the subject while building their knowledge.
Quantom
Ok, so I've been obsessed with the wackyness of quantum mechanics for years and I can't tell you how much i want to learn the math and the equations like the dirac notation and the shroedinger equation, spin and angular momentum...all of it. As a senior in high school I am going to start learning linear algebra with gilbert strang's book and mit video lectures and try to get the basics of calculus and differential equations down, but I need a good intro to Quantum text, I was looking at shankar and griffiths, but i am not sure...I know quantum physics isn't easy to self-study, but i would really appreciate recommendations on any books that helped you guys to learn qm. Please guide me because i am so determined but i just don't know where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
just start cranking Griffiths, there is no other way around it!
Read the text line by line, chapter by chapter, do not skip a single thing. Do active reading, not just stare blankly and nod your head. When the book makes a claim, try to proof it. Do not look at the book when trying to proof the given statement. Try to understand the difficulties in proving the fact. It is best if you actually get stuck! so that you understand why the book does what. When the book shows a result, go through the calculation (don't get lazy on the gaussian integrals). When you are done with a certain chapter, come back to it from time to time (rerun this process).

If you get stuck on the math, get a book on ODE or PDE, study what you need and move on.

One caution though, if you can't prove a certain statement after a very long time, move on and accept it as a fact (only use this as a last resort). Remember to come back later though. Good luck in your studies!

Last edited:
You should probably get a copy of this one sooner or later. Perhaps someone who has actually read it can comment on how suitable or unsuitable it is a first book on quantum mechanics.

I have a book by Frederick W. Byron, Jr. and Robert W. Fuller entitled; "Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics." It's printed by Dover Publishing and I've always been impressed with their quality.

I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but it's an excelent book. This book is intended/designed for graduate level physics texts. Happy holidays.

Basically, there is books by David Mcmahon, got quantum mechanics demystified, relativity demystified,quantum field theory demystified and string theory demystified. I am not able to follow thru the books but I think if you had enuff tenacity should be able to follow thru. Brother, I also want to unlock the equations right? You can try.

Jeez, I guess I'm the only one who noticed that you said you were in high school, and hadn't even taken calculus yet.

You have at least two years of math classes to take before you should even think about most of the books recommended above.

Single and multivariable calculus, diff eq, and linear algebra at the very least, concurrent with a year or more of calculus based physics. And even that is rushing it, because QM is typically taught in grad school, to students with four years of college math and physics.

You have to walk before you can run. To tide you over, you can read popular treatments of QM while you are learning enough math and physics to read real QM textbooks.

1. What exactly is a self-study quantum text?

A self-study quantum text is a resource that is designed for individuals to learn about quantum physics on their own, without the guidance of a teacher or instructor. It typically includes explanations, examples, and practice problems to help the reader understand the concepts.

2. Is it possible to learn quantum physics through self-study?

Yes, it is possible to learn quantum physics through self-study. However, it requires dedication, perseverance, and a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is recommended to have some background knowledge in these subjects before attempting to learn quantum physics on your own.

3. How do I choose the right self-study quantum text?

Choosing the right self-study quantum text depends on your level of understanding and your learning style. Look for a text that is well-organized, has clear explanations and examples, and offers practice problems with solutions. It is also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other individuals who have self-studied quantum physics.

4. Do I need any special equipment or software to study quantum physics on my own?

No, you do not need any special equipment or software to study quantum physics on your own. However, having access to a scientific calculator and a computer with internet access can be helpful for solving equations and researching concepts.

5. Can I still ask for help or clarification while self-studying quantum physics?

Yes, you can still ask for help or clarification while self-studying quantum physics. There are online forums and communities where you can ask questions and discuss concepts with other self-learners or experts in the field. You can also consult with a physics teacher or professor for guidance and clarification.