What is the torque exerted by a stationary car on its rear wheels?

• Thread starter jhart_929
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Torque
In summary, the problem involves a car being jacked up at an angle of 10.0° to change the front tires. The car's length is 2.95 m and its mass is 1150 kg with a center of mass located 1.12 m from the front end. The rear wheels are 0.40 m from the back end. To find the torque exerted by the car around the back wheels, the length from the rear wheels to the center of mass must be calculated by taking into account the angle of tilt. By using the equation T = F x r x sintheta and setting the sum of the torques equal to 0, the torque exerted by the car can be found. It
jhart_929

Homework Statement

A mechanic jacks up a car to an angle of 10.0° to change the front tires. The car is 2.95 m long and has a mass of 1150 kg. Its center of mass is located 1.12 m from the front end. The rear wheels are 0.40 m from the back end. Calculate the torque exerted by the car around the back wheels.

Homework Equations

T = F x r x sintheta
sum of the torques = 0
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Clueless when I have to figure out where the gravity is acting, and so forth. Basically, I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Start by drawing a diagram.

You are going to use the back wheel at the pivot point. And the sum of the Torques are going to be 0.

But the question only looks like it wants the torque from the car, not the jack. So ... how far is the center of mass from the pivot along the horizontal after taking into account the angle the car is tilted at?

That's about all you need to answer it.

So you subtract the lengths to get from the jack to the rear wheels?

Okay. I think I got it...part of my problem was that I didn't have my calculator set in degrees. The other part of my problem was that I had originally gotten the torque from the jack, not from the car.

Thank you for your help!

1. How is torque defined?

Torque is defined as the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What factors affect the torque of a stationary car?

The torque of a stationary car is affected by several factors, including the engine power, gear ratio, tire size, and weight distribution. The more powerful the engine, the higher the torque. A lower gear ratio and larger tires also increase the torque, while a heavier weight distribution decreases it.

3. How is torque measured in a stationary car?

Torque is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as pound-feet (lb-ft) in the imperial system or newton-meters (N-m) in the metric system. It can be measured using a dynamometer, which applies a load to the engine and measures the resulting torque output.

4. What is the relationship between torque and horsepower in a stationary car?

Torque and horsepower are two different measures of engine performance, but they are closely related. In a stationary car, torque is the force that gets the car moving, while horsepower is the rate at which that force is applied. Higher torque and horsepower values usually result in better acceleration and overall performance.

5. How does torque affect the handling of a stationary car?

Torque plays a significant role in the handling of a car, especially in turns. Too much torque can cause the wheels to spin, resulting in loss of control. On the other hand, too little torque can make it challenging to maintain speed on steep inclines. It is essential to have a balanced torque distribution for optimal handling.