Mathematics in Early Childhood

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, National Academies Press has published a monograph on early childhood math that provides information for an interesting discussion. Nice find.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
National Academies Press has published a monograph on early childhood math.
Mathematics Learning in Early Childhood:
Paths Toward Excellence and Equity

http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12519

It can be viewed online for free, but one has to purchase the document.

It would provide information for an interesting discussion.

Science news on Phys.org
nice find

i'll start reading right away

Astronuc:

Thanks for pointing out that you CAN read this online for free. I was frustrated the other day when I found out the pdf was free-downloadable.

I'm mostly just reading about this to help me to think of fun activities and ways to make sure our soon-to-arrive baby girl develops good math/analysis skills... so in that sense Part II is most pertinent. I've already been thinking a lot about language... and a bit about colors but I hadn't been thinking so much about math, I'll confess.

One thing I'm planning on doing is keeping some small notebook on her growth, etc... to get my 10-yr old stepson involved in plotting out some things (to compare to some standard charts, etc)... and maybe even get him doing some calculations about percentages etc (maybe even using some data about himself too, when he can get it -- I guess I at least have a tape measure in the house, though we don't have a scale!).

The boys take after their Dad for sure (I guess I only started to have influence over them about 2 years ago)... so that's why I'd really like the new baby-girl to have better math/science/engineering skills... so that even if she decides to take a different path she'll still know how to fix things! It's fun in our house -- our youngest always tells ME (not Dad) when something is wrong on our oldest's wheelchair; he knows who owns the tool box in our house (and who makes the pie charts for Dad's presentations at work). :biggrin:

One cute story from my sister: her husband (an engineer) likes to tease their little boy (age 5) by often saying the WRONG number word or color. So sometimes their little guy gets in this mood a bit too. He caused quite the stir at his preschool with this: the preschool instructors weren't always sure if he knew the right color... or if he was teasing. Oy. :bugeye:

Has anyone thought about how to teach your own kids stuff? I have basically thought that the best way to teach a kid to think is to buy all kinds of jigsaw puzzles, play memory games etc. But I'm sure you could do something even with very small children who aren't capable of doing these things yet. I just don't have any ideas what to do.

My dad used to read to me a few illustrated encyclopedias designed for kids (before I could read myself) that described things like planets, gravity, proportions in space, tectonic plates and volcanoes, weather phenomena etc. and he started doing it when I was only a few years old and I used to love it. There was also this nice series of book written in Swedish that explained how simple machines work and things like levers and propellers. It also explained things like heat, work etc. and was written in such a way that I could understand it to some level as a 4-5 year-old and even apply some of those ideas when playing with Lego technic parts.

I just happened to notice that almost all chemistry sets that I could find online are really watered down and contains almost no interesting chemicals. Does anyone have any idea where you could get some of those things that you could buy at the end of the 80s or are they all banned in the spirit of anti-terrorism? I remember how I used to play with them together with my dad, sometimes producing all kinds of interesting smoke that, to the delight of my mother, colored parts of our kitchen. We also made gunpowder and burned it in our backyard which was really cool. :)

I'm also tempted to think that there should be some books with really easy IQ test type questions (i.e. what's in the missing box) that even a two-year-old could solve. I just haven't really found anything. There seems to be a million "turn your baby into a genius" -type books, but they all seem to be written with the sole intent of making money by exploiting obsessed parents.

I'll have to read this book, because it looks quite promising.

What is the importance of introducing mathematics in early childhood?

Introducing mathematics in early childhood is crucial as it helps children develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and logical reasoning. It also lays the foundation for future mathematical concepts and promotes a positive attitude towards math.

At what age should children start learning mathematics?

Children can start learning basic mathematical concepts as early as 2-3 years old. However, the specific age may vary depending on the child's individual development and readiness.

How can parents and teachers incorporate math into daily activities for young children?

Parents and teachers can incorporate math into daily activities for young children by counting objects, playing games that involve counting or sorting, and encouraging children to measure and compare objects. They can also use everyday situations, such as cooking or shopping, as opportunities to introduce mathematical concepts.

What are the benefits of using hands-on activities to teach math to young children?

Hands-on activities are beneficial in teaching math to young children as they engage multiple senses and make learning more interactive and enjoyable. They also allow children to explore and manipulate objects, which helps them understand abstract mathematical concepts better.

What are some common misconceptions about teaching math to young children?

One common misconception is that young children are not capable of understanding complex mathematical concepts. However, research has shown that children have an innate sense of number and can learn more complex math concepts with proper guidance and support. Another misconception is that math is only about numbers and equations, but it also involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and spatial reasoning skills.