Couple of simple (I hope) questions

• Thread starter parabol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the first problem is a system of simultaneous equations and the second problem is simpler than it may seem.
parabol

Homework Statement

1st problem

I'm struggling to answer this question using my calculus workbook.

Find the point of intersection of the lines:

[tex]y_{1}=3x+2[/tex]
[tex]3y_{2}=16-x[/tex]

I can solve this question as a simultaneous equation, but, as it is in my calculus question paper believe it to be less simple. Is there some method of differentiating the equations in order to work out the intersect point?

2nd problem

If [tex]f(x)=7x^3 + 8x^2 - x + 11[/tex], evaluate;

a) [tex]\int\stackrel{+1}{-1}f(x)dx[/tex]

b) [tex]\int\stackrel{+1}{-1}f ' (x)dx[/tex]

c) [tex]\int\stackrel{+1}{-1}f '' (x)dx[/tex]

I'm happy with the integration but just wanted to make sure that I am working the integration of first the function, then the higher order derivatives or should it be higher order integration.

Sorry if the problems seem simple but I'm struggling to understand my workbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first exercise is just a system of simultaneous equations as you suspected. Differentiation is not needed (and wouldn't help as two functions with equal derivative are not necessarily equal).

The second problem is simpler than it might appear. The problem deals with integrals of higher-order derivative. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus gives you a handle on this one.

[tex]\text{If } F'(x) = f(x) \text{ then } \int{f(x)\;{dx}} = F(x) + C[/tex]

--Elucidus

Thanks for the reply.

Happy with the first part.

But for the 2nd. Are you saying that I have carried it out incorrectly by findging the first and second derivative and then integrating them and working out thorugh the boundary values?

parabol said:
But for the 2nd. Are you saying that I have carried it out incorrectly by findging the first and second derivative and then integrating them and working out thorugh the boundary values?

I am saying that [itex]\int_{-1}^1 f'(x)\;dx=f(1)-f(-1)[/itex] since f(x) is an antiderivative of f'(x). Patern continues...

--Elucidus

Thanks for your help. I reckon I have it sorted now.

Cheers

1. What is the purpose of "Couple of simple (I hope) questions"?

The purpose of "Couple of simple (I hope) questions" is to gather information or knowledge about a specific topic or problem in a clear and concise manner.

2. How many questions are included in "Couple of simple (I hope) questions"?

There is no specific number of questions included in "Couple of simple (I hope) questions" as it can vary depending on the topic or problem being addressed.

3. Are the questions in "Couple of simple (I hope) questions" easy to understand?

The questions in "Couple of simple (I hope) questions" are designed to be simple and straightforward, but this can also depend on the individual's understanding of the topic.

4. Can anyone answer the questions in "Couple of simple (I hope) questions"?

Yes, anyone with knowledge or expertise on the topic can answer the questions in "Couple of simple (I hope) questions". However, the accuracy of the answers may vary.

5. How can I use the information from "Couple of simple (I hope) questions"?

The information gathered from "Couple of simple (I hope) questions" can be used for various purposes, such as conducting research, solving problems, or gaining a deeper understanding of a topic.