Charge Inside A Non-Conductive Charged Spherical or Cylindrical Shell

In summary, the charge within a charged non-conductive spherical or cylindrical shell is zero due to the geometry within the shell cancelling all the charges within. The charge can be located anywhere within the hollow region, not necessarily at the center. Additionally, if the cylinder is considered to be of infinite length, the electric field should be 0 at any point within the hollow region.
1st1
Hey Guys, I wanted to clarify something I'm not too sure about.

The charge inside (in the center not actually in the shell) of a charged non-conductive spherical or cylindrical shell is zero, am I wrong? The reason being the geometry within the shell cancels all the charges within.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup...and it is not necessarily in the center; it could be anywhere in the hollow region.

Sounds good, that's what I imagined.
Thanks!

1st1 said:
Sounds good, that's what I imagined.
Thanks!

Though I'm not so sure about the entire hollow region for the cylinder, but it is at least for the center of the cylinder. I'm also wondering...by charge, were you considering the force/electric field?

I was considering the electric field.

And if you consider the cylinder to be of infinite length then the electric field should be 0 at any point within the hollow region of the cylinder.

What is a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell?

A non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell is a hollow object made of a material that does not allow the flow of electric charges. The shell has a net charge on its surface, and the charges are distributed uniformly on the outer surface of the shell.

What is the charge inside a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell?

The charge inside a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell is zero. This is because the material of the shell does not allow the charges to flow through it, so all the charges remain on the outer surface of the shell.

How is the electric field inside a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell?

The electric field inside a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell is also zero. This is because the electric field is produced by the charges, and since there are no charges inside the shell, there is no electric field present.

What happens to the charge inside a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell when it is placed in an external electric field?

When a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell is placed in an external electric field, the net charge on the outer surface of the shell remains the same. However, the distribution of charges on the surface may change, with more charges accumulating on one side of the shell depending on the direction and strength of the external field.

How does the charge inside a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell affect the electric potential inside the shell?

The charge inside a non-conductive charged spherical or cylindrical shell does not affect the electric potential inside the shell. The electric potential inside the shell is constant and equal to the potential on the outer surface of the shell, which is determined by the net charge on the surface.