Do Physicists Drink? - Debating the Risks of Alcohol

• Thread starter Apexny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, this person is questioning why people drink alcohol and why it is seen as something to be scared of. They argue that there are two sides to the argument- those who drink and do not care about the damage it does to their brain, and those who do not drink in fear of the damage it causes. They also argue that there are occupations that are wary of alcohol, and that as an American, they are paranoid of the dangers of drinking.
vanesch said:
In this thread, I think the meaning of "to drink" is a whole spectrum, from "not entirely avoiding a glass of an alcoholic drink" to "being drunk each day from morning to evening". Clearly, the last behavior (and even less extreme behavior) is obviously bad for your mental and physical health, there's no doubt about that. As to much more moderate use of alcohol, probably it does have some negative effect, but that's a joy/risk analysis that is open to discussion.

Personally, I do drink sometimes a glass or two of beer or wine, with some friends, or with a dinner, and very rarely (a few times a year) somewhat more on some special occasions. I used to drink more when I was a student, that's true (as there were more occasions, and others did so too). I've had a few bad years of "beer and chips in front of the TV set" but I got rid of that. Although I like good beer and good wine for their taste, and I do like the somewhat "relaxing" effect of the first few drinks, I hate the feeling of "drifting away and loosing control" (getting drunk).
I don't drink strong alcohol, except for a very occasional glass of whiskey of which I like the taste.

I've been around some heavy drinkers (seriously suffering from alcoholism) and it is such a pathetic sight that it is, I think, a good reminder of staying far from the "red line".

Yeah, I always say "I don't drink" but it's not like I won't have a beer or two when I feel like it. What I mean is I don't go out and get drunk for social events, I just like to enjoy a beer and relax occasionally.

Physics news on Phys.org
kakarotyjn said:
I don't want to drink,though I can drink much beer.I agree with Oddbio,I am afraid of damaging my brain.And I have a question why so much people like drinking alcohol?It really tastes bad,and it is not sweet.

Rice wine/ sake is sweet tasting. (the one I drank) It didn't taste strong so I drank 2 shots. It was amusing to find out that I couldn't walk straight later on. :uhh:

But other than that, I don't like the general taste of alcohol either. I sniffed some champagne at a wedding once and It wasn't pleasant. Rum is just foul tasting in my opinion. (no, the other ingredients in a pina colada do not cover the taste)

Last edited: