Interlibrary loan at your university

In summary, the person was not able to access the interlibrary loan service at their university after becoming an alumni. They were not given an explanation for why they were not able to access the service. There are hundreds of thousands of free books online that the person might be able to access if they searched for them on torrent sites.
noblegas
I was wondering if anyone of you were able to access your interlibrary loan at the university that you attended long after you graduated from the university that you attended; I was able to access to the books at my library but not the interlibrary loan service at my university. I asked why am I not able to access the interlibrary loan service after I became an alumni but was provided no explanation. HAve any of you been in similar circumstances and if so, what explanation were you given for why as an alumni , you were not able to access the interlibrary loan service your university offers only to registered students and faculty/staff?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is an interlibrary loan service.

dacruick said:
what is an interlibrary loan service.

It is a service where people are able to check out books through different libraries if your library does not hold the book that you wish to check out. This service would be somewhat analogous to a book version of netflix.

alright. well, there is a simple answer for everything that they no longer let you do. money. You no longer pay the university, as i assume part of your tuition would have gone towards that. just get the book online if you can.

dacruick said:
alright. well, there is a simple answer for everything that they no longer let you do. money. You no longer pay the university, as i assume part of your tuition would have gone towards that. just get the book online if you can.

yes , but as an alumni , I am able to access the books at my university's libraries as long as I pay for an annual fee , but when I asked if they offer the same service for the tripsaver library loan, they don't offer the same annual fee that gains you access to the university's library for the tripsaver loan. There are not many free books online. even google books offers limited access

Yeah that's odd. You might want to talk to someone about making that available for alumni then. But there are hundreds of thousands of free books online. Maybe they aren't on there legally, but if you check out a bunch of torrent sites like pirate bay, they tend to have users with tons of books.

What is interlibrary loan?

Interlibrary loan is a service provided by libraries that allows users to borrow materials from other libraries that are not available at their own library.

How do I request an interlibrary loan at my university?

To request an interlibrary loan at your university, you can usually fill out a form online or in person at your library. You will need to provide information about the item you are requesting, such as the title, author, and any other relevant details.

Is there a fee for interlibrary loan at my university?

Most universities do not charge a fee for interlibrary loan services. However, some libraries may charge a small fee for requesting items from certain libraries or for rush requests.

How long does it take to receive interlibrary loan materials?

The time it takes to receive interlibrary loan materials can vary depending on the availability of the item and the shipping time between libraries. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to receive your requested materials.

Can I renew interlibrary loan materials?

In most cases, you can renew interlibrary loan materials by contacting your library before the due date. However, it is up to the lending library to approve the renewal, so it is not guaranteed.