Buffer solutions - relating volume and concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a question involving a buffer with two substances of equal concentration. The participants share their understanding and confusion about the concept and ultimately provide a solution to the equation [CH3COO-]/[CH3COOH] = v1/v2 using algebra. The conversation also mentions the importance of not allowing the substances to react or evaporate while solving the equation.
merry
I am really confused about how to approach the following question. Can someone please help me out?

A buffer is made by mixing CH3COO- and CH3COOH of the same concentration of 0.5M. If the volume of the former is v1 and the latter is v2, show algebraically that the following will always hold true:

[CH3COO-]/[CH3COOH] = v1/v2

where [CH3COO-] and [CH3COOH] are the concentrations at equilibrium.

Thanks a ton!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes I find that difficult to explain.

My problem is that's so obvious I don't know how to explain it.

What's yours? :biggrin:

Well OK on second thoughts maybe. Forget your substances are what they are. They could be anything and the same result applies. As long as they don't actually do something, like react chemically. Or evaporate. Which yours will a bit so better solve this quickly!

Yeah, I got the answer xD I was confused because I didnt know that the number of moles remain constant. I thought some of either reactant could react to produce the other, especially since its asking for the concentrations at equilibrium. Just in case anyone was looking for the answer:

Concentration of CH3COO- at equilibrium = (0.05M)V1/(V1+V2) = [CH3COO-]
Concentration of CH3COOH at equilibrium = (0.05M)V2/(V1+V2) = [CH3COOH]

dividing the two equations,

(0.05V1)(v1+v2)/ (0.05V2)(v1+v2) = [CH3COO-]/[CH3COOH]
V1/V2 = [CH3COO-]/[CH3COOH]

tada!
@.@ wasnt at all tht hard but just confusing

You're welcome.

Nice to hear someone come back.

I suppose the majority do get to solutions with, without or in spite of our help, but we don't always hear.

xD sorry, I completely forgot that I posted this question until I saw the email when I was clearing my Inbox.

What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added to it. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

How can I calculate the concentration of a buffer solution?

The concentration of a buffer solution can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of the weak acid or base by the total volume of the solution.

What is the relationship between buffer solution volume and concentration?

The concentration of a buffer solution is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of the solution increases, the concentration also increases, and vice versa.

Why is it important to maintain a specific volume and concentration in a buffer solution?

Maintaining a specific volume and concentration in a buffer solution is important because it ensures that the solution remains effective at resisting changes in pH. If the concentration or volume is too low, the buffer may not be able to effectively resist changes in pH.

What happens if the volume or concentration of a buffer solution is altered?

If the volume or concentration of a buffer solution is altered, the buffer may become less effective at resisting changes in pH. This can result in a large and sudden change in the pH of the solution, which can be problematic in experiments or industrial processes that require a specific pH range.