Calculating Line Integral of I Using Green's Theorem

In summary, the line integral using Green's theorem is calculated by integrating the function F = (x-y, xy) along the path of the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,0), and (1,3) in the anticlockwise direction. This can be expressed as I = Integral F . dr, where dr is the differential length along the path. Green's theorem relates this line integral to a double integral over the region enclosed by the path, and the formula for Green's theorem can be found in the link provided for an introduction to LaTeX.
mikeyrichster
The Integral I is defined by

I = Integral F . dr Where F = (x-y, xy) << This is a verticle vector, i just didn'nt know how to write it with latex.

And C is a triangle with the vertices (0,0), (1,0) and (1,3) tracked anticlockwise.

Calculate the line integral using greens theorem

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

PS sorry about my lack of LaTeX typesetting

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make an attempt and show your work before you're going to get any help. A good place to start would be to see what Green's theorem says.

Also, this is hardly a Precalculus question. That's what the Calculus & Beyond section is for.

You should make an effort to learn how to use LaTeX, particularly for this problem as the typesetting will make the equations much easier to read. Click on the following link for an intro to LaTeX.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

I saw in your duplicate thread before it got deleted a vague description of Green's theorem, lacking a lot of important details. Try giving us the theorem in the form of an equation (you'll get to try out LaTeX!) and relate the quantities involved to those in this problem.

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool used to calculate line integrals, which are integrals along a curve in a two-dimensional space. It relates a line integral to a double integral over a region in the plane.

2. How do you use Green's Theorem to calculate a line integral?

To use Green's Theorem, you first need to determine the region of integration and the curve along which the line integral is being calculated. Then, you need to evaluate a double integral over the region using the partial derivatives of the given function. Finally, you can use the values from the double integral to calculate the line integral using the formula provided by Green's Theorem.

3. What is the purpose of using Green's Theorem to calculate line integrals?

Green's Theorem can simplify the calculation of line integrals by relating them to double integrals, which are often easier to solve. It also allows for the use of techniques such as partial derivatives and integration to solve more complex line integrals.

4. Can Green's Theorem be used to calculate any type of line integral?

No, Green's Theorem can only be used to calculate line integrals in two-dimensional spaces. It cannot be applied to line integrals in higher dimensions or over curves that do not lie in a plane.

5. Are there any limitations or special cases when using Green's Theorem?

Yes, Green's Theorem can only be applied to certain types of regions and curves. Additionally, the function being integrated must have continuous partial derivatives within the region of integration. In some cases, it may be necessary to break the region into smaller subregions to apply Green's Theorem.