Need help with replacing a lead-acid sealed battery with a Lithium Ion battery

In summary, the problem is that the battery has a protection circuit that doesn't like the higher voltage. The battery may work if the motor is connected to a separate charger, but it doesn't work when the lead-acid battery is connected.
banglour
What I am trying to do is replace my 12v 5Ah lead-acid battery with a 14.8v 6600mAh lithium ion battery. It powers a small fan belt. And for some reason I can't get the lithium battery to work. Can somebody tell me what I might be doing wrong, or if it will even work?

Attachments

• DSC05644.jpg
    DSC05644.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC05648.jpg
    DSC05648.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 462
Engineering news on Phys.org
#1: Do NOT charge the Lithium battery with the same charger used for the Lead-Acid battery! This is a potential fire and/or explosion hazard!

As for the problem you're having... assuming the Lithium battery is fully charged, it's possible that the motor has a protection circuit that doesn't like the higher voltage. What exactly happens when you connect the new battery? Does it run if you reconnect the lead-acid battery?

Yes I have a separate charger just for the Lithium battery.

The battery is fully charges and when I connect the lithium battery and turn the motor on it sounds like it actual runs, but just for a split second. Then nothing happens after that. When I connect the lead-acid back up the motor runs just fine. Why is that?

Sounds some form of protection circuit either in the battery pack or in the motor (or of course a dead battery).

Can you please measure the terminal voltage while you test it. If the terminal voltage drops markedly when the motor stops ("after a split second") then there is a problem with the battery. Either a dead battery or some built in current limiting.

After I start the motor the terminal voltage drops all the way to 00.0. I have a hard time believing that its a dead battery because its brand new. Would it work if I got a smaller Voltage battery?

Do you have any specifications on the battery pack. Does it have any built in over-current proctection?

What are the key differences between a lead-acid sealed battery and a Lithium Ion battery?

The main difference between these two types of batteries is the chemistry used. Lead-acid batteries use a combination of lead plates and sulfuric acid, while Lithium Ion batteries use lithium ions and a variety of different cathode materials. This difference in chemistry leads to variations in performance, lifespan, and cost.

Why would someone want to replace a lead-acid sealed battery with a Lithium Ion battery?

There are several reasons why someone may want to make this switch. Lithium Ion batteries tend to have a higher energy density, meaning they can store more energy in a smaller package. They also have a longer lifespan and can be recharged more times than lead-acid batteries. Additionally, Lithium Ion batteries are generally lighter and have a more consistent discharge rate.

Are there any safety concerns when replacing a lead-acid sealed battery with a Lithium Ion battery?

Yes, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind. Lithium Ion batteries can be more prone to thermal runaway, which is a rapid increase in temperature that can cause the battery to catch fire or explode. It's important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and handle the batteries with caution.

What are some factors to consider when choosing a Lithium Ion battery to replace a lead-acid sealed battery?

There are a few important factors to consider when choosing a Lithium Ion battery. These include the voltage and capacity of the battery, as well as the physical dimensions and weight. It's also important to make sure that the battery is compatible with the device or system it will be used in.

Can a Lithium Ion battery be directly substituted for a lead-acid sealed battery?

In most cases, no. Lead-acid and Lithium Ion batteries have different charging and discharging characteristics, so a direct substitution may not work properly. It's important to consult with the manufacturer or an expert to determine the best way to make the switch and ensure the new battery will function correctly.