Beam deflection in a cantilever beam

I'm glad I could help.In summary, the person is looking for an equation to calculate the deflection of a 25ft cantilever beam with an even distributed load of 3000 lbs/ft and two concentrated loads of 4000lbs and 5000lbs at 8ft and 18ft from the clamped end, respectively. They are advised to break the beam into three separate problems and find the deflection profile for each case before adding them together. The deflection profile can be found in any mechanics of materials book. The person expresses their gratitude for the help provided.
anthonym44
I need help finding the equation for a 25ft cantilever beam deflection where the beam has an even distributed load of 3000 lbs/ft and also has concentrated loads of 4000lbs 8ft from the clamped end and 5000lbs 18ft from the clamped end. A generic equation from a Roark table would do, but I am having trouble finding one. Any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are going to need to do is split the beam up into three different problems:

1) Cantilever beam with distributed load
2) Cantilever beam with concentrated load at 8 ft
3) Cantilever beam with concentrated load at 25 ft

Find the deflection profile for each of these cases and then add them all together. The deflection profile can be found in the back of any mechanics of materials book.

Hope this helps,

jrw

yes, that helps me alot. Thank you very much.

no problem

1. What is beam deflection in a cantilever beam?

Beam deflection in a cantilever beam is the amount of bending or displacement that occurs in a beam when a load is applied to it. This bending or displacement is caused by the stress and strain placed on the beam.

2. What factors affect beam deflection in a cantilever beam?

The factors that affect beam deflection in a cantilever beam include the material properties of the beam (such as elasticity and density), the dimensions and shape of the beam, the type and magnitude of the load applied, and the boundary conditions of the beam (such as fixed or free end).

3. How is beam deflection calculated in a cantilever beam?

Beam deflection in a cantilever beam can be calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on the type of load and boundary conditions. One common method is using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the material properties, dimensions, and load applied to the beam.

4. What is the significance of beam deflection in a cantilever beam?

Beam deflection is an important factor to consider in the design and analysis of cantilever beams, as it can affect the structural integrity and performance of the beam. Excessive deflection can lead to failure or collapse of the beam, while too little deflection can result in a stiff and rigid structure.

5. How can beam deflection in a cantilever beam be minimized?

To minimize beam deflection in a cantilever beam, engineers can use materials with high stiffness and strength, increase the beam's cross-sectional area, or add supports at strategic points along the beam. The type and location of the load also play a significant role in minimizing deflection, as well as the overall design and dimensions of the beam.