How Does the Exclusion Principle Affect Energy Levels in Electron Spin States?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system composed of two 1/2 spin particles and the different ways to label the basis vectors. The system can be in a singlet or one of the triplet states, and the question of whether the exclusion principle needs to be considered when evaluating the energies of the states is raised. The Fermi-Dirac statistics of two identical Fermions are mentioned, with the conclusion that the singlet state must be in an even L state while the triplet state must be in an odd L state. The question of how to proceed with states such as |00> and |10> is also raised.
alle.fabbri
Hi guys!
When we consider a system composed by two 1/2 spin particle we can label the 4 natural basis vector by the individual spin of each particle, i.e. |++>,|+->,... , or by the eigenvalues of the total spin S and its projection M. In the latter case we have again 4 basis vectors: a singlet state |00> and the triplet states |11> |10> |1-1>.

Now consider the previous particles to be electrons in an infinite square well of size L so the system can be either in the singlet state or in one of the triplet states. If I want to evaluate the energies of the states do I have to consider the exclusion principle?
To be more explicit let's call E the energy of the single particle ground state inside the well, in this way 4E will be the energy of the second, 9E that of the third and so on. My question then becomes, considering for instance |11>, what is the energy? I don't know if I have to take into account the exclusion principle and thus the energy should be 5E, i.e. E from the ground state particle and 4E from the first excited level one since two "up" electrons cannot share the same energy level, or not.
And in a case such |10> or |00>, where it results impossible to assign a level to each particle since the system is in superposition of the individual spin eigenvectors how do I have to proceed?

Thanks for any help...

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fermi-Dirac statistics of two identical Fermions means that two electrons in the singlet state must be in an even L state, which includes the lowest state in the box.
Two electrons in the triplet state must be in an odd L state, so their lowest state will lie higher.

The |00> state is a pure, not a mixed state, even if the individual spins differ. The |10> state has the same spatial wave function as the |11> and the |1,-1> states.

1. What are singlet and triplet states?

Singlet and triplet states are two possible electronic states that atoms, molecules, or ions can exist in. These states differ in the spin orientation of the electrons within the system.

2. How do singlet and triplet states differ?

Singlet states have all their electrons paired and therefore have a total spin of zero, while triplet states have at least one unpaired electron and have a total spin of one. This results in different magnetic properties and reactivity between the two states.

3. What factors influence the formation of singlet and triplet states?

The formation of singlet and triplet states is influenced by various factors such as the electronic configuration of the atoms or molecules, the presence of external magnetic fields, and the type of chemical bonds present in the system.

4. How are singlet and triplet states related to chemical reactions?

Singlet and triplet states can play an important role in chemical reactions. For example, triplet states are often involved in radical reactions, while singlet states are involved in many photochemical reactions. The reactivity of a system can also change depending on whether it is in a singlet or triplet state.

5. Can singlet and triplet states be observed directly?

No, singlet and triplet states cannot be directly observed because they are electronic states and not physical structures. However, their presence and properties can be inferred through various spectroscopic techniques and theoretical calculations.