Group Theory Question involving nonabelian simple groups and cyclic groups

In summary: A, gA !=A, so gA is a non-trivial element of G/A. since G/A is simple, gA = G, so for all h in G, gh = a for some a in A. this means that g is in Z(G).
paddyoneil

Homework Statement

Let A be a normal subgroup of a group G, with A cyclic and G/A nonabelian simple. Prove that Z(G)= A

Homework Equations

Z(G) = A <=> CG(G) = A = {a in G: ag = ga for all g in G}

My professor's hint was "what is G/CG(A)?"

The Attempt at a Solution

A is cyclic => A is abelian
A normal in G <=> gAg-1 = A
So gA=Ag. Then gA is an element of G/A.

I don't really know where to go. I have been working on this for several hours and am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
paddyoneil said:

Homework Statement

Let A be a normal subgroup of a group G, with A cyclic and G/A nonabelian simple. Prove that Z(G)= A

Homework Equations

Z(G) = A <=> CG(G) = A = {a in G: ag = ga for all g in G}

My professor's hint was "what is G/CG(A)?"

The Attempt at a Solution

A is cyclic => A is abelian
A normal in G <=> gAg-1 = A
So gA=Ag. Then gA is an element of G/A.

I don't really know where to go. I have been working on this for several hours and am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the fact that G/A is simple means that there are no normal subgroups of G containing A except G itself.

now if A is cyclic, show that CG(A) is normal in G. now every element of A certainly commutes with every other (A is abelian). thus CG(A) is a normal sbgroup of A, containing A, so CG(A) = G.

now show that this implies A = Z(G) (containment of A in Z(G) is easy-see above). use the fact that G/A is non-abelian to show that if g is not in A, g does not commute with some member of G.

Last edited:

1. What is a nonabelian simple group?

A nonabelian simple group is a group that is both nonabelian (meaning its operation is not commutative) and simple (meaning it has no nontrivial normal subgroups). This means that it has no proper subgroups that are invariant under the group's operation.

2. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a group in which every element can be generated by repeatedly applying the group operation to a single element. In other words, the group's operation is generated by a single element, called a generator.

3. Can a nonabelian simple group be cyclic?

No, a nonabelian simple group cannot be cyclic. This is because if a group is cyclic, it must have a single generator that generates all of its elements. However, a nonabelian simple group has no proper subgroups, so it cannot be generated by a single element.

4. Can a nonabelian simple group have a cyclic subgroup?

Yes, a nonabelian simple group can have a cyclic subgroup. This is because a subgroup of a nonabelian simple group can be cyclic, even though the group itself is not cyclic. For example, the alternating group An is a nonabelian simple group, but it has cyclic subgroups of order 2.

5. How are nonabelian simple groups and cyclic groups related?

Nonabelian simple groups and cyclic groups are related in that they are both types of groups with specific properties. However, they are distinct types of groups and do not have any direct relationship. In fact, nonabelian simple groups and cyclic groups have opposite properties, as a nonabelian simple group cannot be cyclic and a cyclic group cannot be nonabelian simple.