Does Using Inertia Help or Hinder Weight Lifting?

In summary: Sure...if you goal is to lift the heaviest weight as possible you should take advantage of the inertia.But if you just want to train your muscles you should let them do the job and not count on the inertia.Therefore I prefer a more controlled lifting.
douglis
Hi all,
when you try to lift explosively a weight there is a acceleration phase and obviously a deceleration phase in order to stop the weight at the end of range of motion(end of repetition).
Is it alright to assume that at the deceleration phase less force than the weight is applied?

Physics news on Phys.org
douglis said:
Hi all,
when you try to lift explosively a weight there is a acceleration phase and obviously a deceleration phase in order to stop the weight at the end of range of motion(end of repetition).
Is it alright to assume that at the deceleration phase less force than the weight is applied?

Why assume?

In which direction is the net acceleration acting if the upward velocity is decreasing?

Ivan Seeking said:
Why assume?

In which direction is the net acceleration acting if the upward velocity is decreasing?

The net acceleration is acting downward so the net force must be negative...so the force that is applied is less than the weight.Right?

douglis said:
The net acceleration is acting downward so the net force must be negative...so the force that is applied is less than the weight.Right?

It sounds like you already know but don't trust the math. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
It sounds like you already know but don't trust the math. :biggrin:

Yes...for some reason(...long story) I had to play the stupid and ask an obvious question.
Anyway...thanks for answering.

douglis said:

You already know the answer.
Positive net force(force applied greater than the weight) causes acceleration and negative net force(force applied less than the weight) causes deceleration.

When lifting, you generally want to provide resistance to the "deceleration" all the way down, not just at the end.

Galteeth said:
When lifting, you generally want to provide resistance to the "deceleration" all the way down, not just at the end.

Absolutely. Using this technique can prevent injury. Allowing the weight to so something like a free fall is a good way to mess up a joint.

Galteeth said:

By deceleration phase I meant the ending part of the lifting phase(not the lowering) where you have to decelerate the weight in order to prevent it "fly" from your hands.
For that part the applied force must be less than the weight.

douglis said:
By deceleration phase I meant the ending part of the lifting phase(not the lowering) where you have to decelerate the weight in order to prevent it "fly" from your hands.

right. I misunderstood because in your OP you said "at the end of the repetition" and I would consider both the lifting and the lowering to constitute one rep.

douglis said:

i try to avoid doing this, though. the trick is to not let go. :wink:

studies have shown (not sure i could dig it up on cue) that you lift the most weight when you're attempting to go as fast as possible. at a lower weight, this means the plates will rattle from the sudden deceleration at the top. as weight increases, it smooths out.

but, yeah, inertia is a major part of lifting. without it, you just wouldn't make it through those sticking points without lowering the weight.

Proton Soup said:
i try to avoid doing this, though. the trick is to not let go. :wink:

studies have shown (not sure i could dig it up on cue) that you lift the most weight when you're attempting to go as fast as possible. at a lower weight, this means the plates will rattle from the sudden deceleration at the top. as weight increases, it smooths out.

but, yeah, inertia is a major part of lifting. without it, you just wouldn't make it through those sticking points without lowering the weight.

Sure...if you goal is to lift the heaviest weight as possible you should take advantage of the inertia.But if you just want to train your muscles you should let them do the job and not count on the inertia.Therefore I prefer a more controlled lifting.

1. How often should I lift weights?

The frequency of weight lifting depends on your goals and fitness level. Generally, it is recommended to lift weights 2-3 times a week for beginners, and 4-5 times a week for more advanced lifters.

2. What is the best time of day to lift weights?

There is no one "best" time to lift weights, as it ultimately depends on your personal schedule and preferences. Some people prefer morning workouts to start their day, while others prefer evening workouts to relieve stress. The most important thing is to find a time that works for you and stick to it consistently.

3. How much weight should I lift?

The amount of weight you should lift depends on your fitness goals. If you are looking to build strength, you should lift heavier weights with fewer repetitions. If you are looking to tone and define your muscles, you should lift lighter weights with more repetitions. It's important to listen to your body and start with a weight that is challenging but still allows you to maintain proper form.

4. Should I use weight lifting machines or free weights?

Both weight lifting machines and free weights have their own benefits. Machines are great for beginners as they provide stability and guidance for proper form. Free weights require more stabilization and can target multiple muscle groups at once. It is recommended to incorporate both into your workout routine for optimal results.

5. Do I need to take supplements for weight lifting?

Supplements are not necessary for weight lifting, but they can be beneficial for some individuals. It's important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements and to remember that they should not be a replacement for a healthy diet and proper training.