Heat Transfer and Determining the Proper Gap

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of determining the minimum distance between a pipe with a constant surface temperature of 1100F and a tank with a maximum temperature of 258F in order to keep the tank below 258F. The conversation also mentions the use of equations for convective heat transfer and relevant information such as air temperature, thermal conductivity, density, thickness, R-value, heat transfer coefficient, and pipe surface temperature. However, without a diagram of the system, it is difficult to address the question at hand.
DjDriftX
I am struggling a bit with this problem:

I have a pipe with a constant surface temperature of 1100F.
I also have a tank which cannot reach a temperature higher than 258F.

I am trying to figure out the minimum distance between the two (in 80F air, which will be moving at a minimum of 5 ft/sec) to keep the tank below 258F.

I remember a little from my previous thermo class, but I haven't taken heat transfer yet.
Im assuming that the pipe to air heat transfer is convective defined by:

[tex]\stackrel{.}{Q}[/tex] = h * A(Tenv - T(t))

However I'm not sure how the heat transfer from the pipe to the air will relate to the heat transfer from the air to the tank.
Any guidance would be really helpfulEDIT:
So i conferred with a fire protection friend who led me to these equations:
http://imgur.com/EvQPF.png
EvQPF.png

However I'm not sure how to involve the distance between the objects, or if its even possible.Relevant Information
Air (80 Deg F)--------------- 300 K
Thermal Conductivity (k)------0.025 W/(m*K)
Density----------------------1.1839 kg/m^3
Thickness (2in)---------------0.0508 m
R-value----------------------2.032
heat transfer coefficient (h)---50 W/(m2K)
(Range 10 - 100)
Surface Area-----------------0.00064516 m^2

Pipe Surface (1100 Deg F)-----866 K

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Without a diagram of the actual system, it seems impossible to address these questions.

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy moving from a region of higher temperature to a region of lower temperature. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. What is the proper gap for heat transfer?

The proper gap for heat transfer depends on several factors, including the temperature difference between the two regions, the materials involved, and the desired rate of heat transfer. Generally, a smaller gap will result in faster heat transfer, but too small of a gap can also lead to heat loss through convection and radiation. It is important to consider all factors when determining the proper gap for a specific situation.

3. How do you determine the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer can be determined using the equation Q/t = kA∆T/L, where Q is the heat transferred, t is the time, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the area of heat transfer, ∆T is the temperature difference, and L is the distance of heat transfer.

4. What are the different types of heat transfer?

There are three main types of heat transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or materials. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

5. How can heat transfer be controlled?

Heat transfer can be controlled by insulation, which reduces the rate of heat transfer by limiting the contact between two objects or materials. The proper gap between two objects can also control the rate of heat transfer. In addition, using materials with high thermal conductivity or implementing cooling/heating systems can help regulate the rate of heat transfer.