Are these compositions of linear transformations reflections or rotations?

In summary, the compositions Sa ○ Tb and Ta ○ Tb are both rotations. For Sa ○ Tb, the angle is a + b, and for Ta ○ Tb, the angle is 2b.
mneox

Homework Statement

if Sa: R2 -> R2 is a rotation by angle a counter-clockwise
if Tb: R2 -> R2 is a reflection in the line that has angle b with + x-axis

Are the below compositions rotations or reflections and what is the angle?
a) Sa ○ Tb
b) Ta ○ Tb

Homework Equations

I don't think you need any for this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can somebody explain what this question is asking..? I think I understand the concept of rotations and reflections. But how are you supposed to tell if Sa ○ Tb is a rot or ref?

I know that Sa ○ Tb means you have to do the reflection first and then the rotation, but how do you know if the composition is a rotation or reflection? I'm just confused about that.

And how would you find the angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
mneox said:

Homework Statement

if Sa: R2 -> R2 is a rotation by angle a counter-clockwise
if Tb: R2 -> R2 is a reflection in the line that has angle b with + x-axis

Are the below compositions rotations or reflections and what is the angle?
a) Sa ○ Tb
b) Ta ○ Tb

Homework Equations

I don't think you need any for this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can somebody explain what this question is asking..? I think I understand the concept of rotations and reflections. But how are you supposed to tell if Sa ○ Tb is a rot or ref?

I know that Sa ○ Tb means you have to do the reflection first and then the rotation, but how do you know if the composition is a rotation or reflection? I'm just confused about that.

And how would you find the angle?

I think you do need the equations for reflection and rotation. Apply them both in the orders given and look at them. The form of the equations will tell you if they are a rotation or reflection.

LCKurtz said:
I think you do need the equations for reflection and rotation. Apply them both in the orders given and look at them. The form of the equations will tell you if they are a rotation or reflection.

How do I apply them w/o vectors??

mneox said:
How do I apply them w/o vectors??

Hard to answer without seeing what you have. What do you have for the equations of reflection or rotation? What have you tried?

LCKurtz said:
Hard to answer without seeing what you have. What do you have for the equations of reflection or rotation? What have you tried?

I know rotation goes like

Rot[tex]\theta[/tex] = [cos[tex]\theta[/tex] -sin[tex]\theta[/tex]; sin[tex]\theta[/tex] cos[tex]\theta[/tex]]

then reflection goes like

Ref[tex]\theta[/tex] = [cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] sin2[tex]\theta[/tex]; sin2[tex]\theta[/tex] -cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]]

So since it was a composition Sa ○ Tb for the first one, i tried to multiply the matrices for rot and ref together.. but that only gave me some crazy looking answer that I don't know how to interpret. :(

mneox said:
I know rotation goes like

Rot[tex]\theta[/tex] = [cos[tex]\theta[/tex] -sin[tex]\theta[/tex]; sin[tex]\theta[/tex] cos[tex]\theta[/tex]]

then reflection goes like

Ref[tex]\theta[/tex] = [cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] sin2[tex]\theta[/tex]; sin2[tex]\theta[/tex] -cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]]

So since it was a composition Sa ○ Tb for the first one, i tried to multiply the matrices for rot and ref together.. but that only gave me some crazy looking answer that I don't know how to interpret. :(

Those look good. So use them with appropriate a or b. The "crazy looking" answers might look better if you review the trig addition formulas for sines and cosines. You know, sin(a+b) = ? etc.

For very general questions like this, it might help to look a special examples. Suppose the angle of rotation is 90 degrees and the line of reflection is the x- axis. Then what does S○ T do to (1, 0) and (0, 1)? T(1, 0) is (1, 0) and S(1, 0) is (0, 1). T(0, 1)= (0, -1) and S(0, -1)= (1, 0). That is, S○ T(1, 0)= (0, 1) and S○ T(0, 1)= (1, 0). That looks like a reflection (in the line y= x) to me.

Take T1 to be reflection in the x- axis and T2 to be reflection in the y-axis. Then T1(1, 0)= (1, 0) and T2(1, 0)= (-1, 0). T1(0, 1)= (0, -1) and T2(0, -1)= (0, -1). That is, T2○ T1(1, 0)= (-1, 0) and T2○ T1(0, 1)= (0, -1). That looks like a rotation (through 180 degrees) to me.

1. What is a composition of linear transformations?

A composition of linear transformations is when two or more linear transformations are applied one after the other, resulting in a new linear transformation. This can also be referred to as a transformation chain.

2. How do I determine if a composition of linear transformations is a reflection or rotation?

To determine if a composition of linear transformations is a reflection or rotation, you can look at the order in which the transformations are applied. If the transformations are applied in the same direction, it is likely a rotation. If the transformations are applied in opposite directions, it is likely a reflection.

3. Can a composition of linear transformations be both a reflection and rotation?

Yes, it is possible for a composition of linear transformations to be both a reflection and rotation. This can occur when the transformations are applied in a specific order, resulting in a combined effect.

4. Are there any visual cues to help determine if a composition of linear transformations is a reflection or rotation?

Yes, there are visual cues that can help determine if a composition of linear transformations is a reflection or rotation. For example, a reflection will result in a mirror image of the original shape, while a rotation will result in a rotated version of the original shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of compositions of linear transformations?

Compositions of linear transformations have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, robotics, and image processing. They can also be used in physics and engineering to model complex systems and transformations.