Transmission zeros of driving point impedance functions

In summary, the person is seeking help with circuit analysis after not having thought about it for 10 years. They have specific questions about transmission zeros, realizing a circuit from a transfer function, and measuring output between arbitrary nodes in a circuit. The coefficients in the transfer function come from eigenvectors of a graph Laplacian matrix. A possible solution for constructing the transfer function is to write the differential equations of the circuit and convert them to Laplace.
1yen
Hello all,

This question might be at the same time both general and very specific. Admittedly, it has been over 10 years since I really thought about circuit analysis, but I hope I might get some help here! So, thanks in advance!

I will ask a few questions here to make the presentation easier.

• Are there general properties of the transmission zeros of a driving point impedance function? (i.e., is it always minimum phase?)
  • If I have a transfer function that is in a partial fraction expansion form, is there a method to realize a circuit from it? i.e.,
    [tex]P(s) = \sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\alpha_i}{s+\lambda_i}[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda_i \geq 0 , \sum_i\alpha_i = 0[/tex]

I can say a little more about the coefficients in the transfer function. They come from the eigenvectors of a graph Laplacian matrix, used to describe the interconnections of the network. I can give more details if needed.

From some quick digging around, I found that drive point impedance functions can be synthesized using an RLC ladder. But what happens if I want to measure my output between 2 arbitrary nodes in the ladder? Is there a good way to construct that transfer-function?

I hope this question makes sense. Open to anyh ideas! Thanks again

Engineering news on Phys.org
1yen said:
But what happens if I want to measure my output between 2 arbitrary nodes in the ladder? Is there a good way to construct that transfer-function?
Your question is, how to derive the transfer function between any two arbitrary points in a circuit? The answer is to write the differential equations of the circuit first, then convert to laplace. That is the subject of most undergraduate differential equations courses, and too much to answer in a thread.

1. What are transmission zeros of driving point impedance functions?

Transmission zeros of driving point impedance functions are points in the complex frequency domain where the driving point impedance function becomes zero. They represent frequencies at which the impedance of a system is purely resistive, indicating a lack of reactive elements in the system.

2. Why are transmission zeros important?

Transmission zeros are important because they provide information about the stability and behavior of a system. They can also be used to design filters and other electronic circuits with desired frequency responses.

3. How do transmission zeros affect the frequency response of a system?

Transmission zeros can affect the frequency response of a system by changing the resonant frequencies, damping, and bandwidth. They can also cause peaks and dips in the frequency response, which can be used to enhance or suppress certain frequencies.

4. Can transmission zeros be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, transmission zeros can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the parameters of a system, such as the values of resistors, capacitors, and inductors. This can be done through circuit design or by using active components such as op-amps.

5. How are transmission zeros different from poles?

Transmission zeros and poles are two types of points in the complex frequency domain that affect the behavior of a system. While transmission zeros represent frequencies where the impedance is purely resistive, poles represent frequencies where the impedance is purely reactive. Additionally, poles can affect the stability of a system, while transmission zeros do not have a direct impact on stability.