Physics books for a pure math student

In summary, this person wants to learn physics from scratch, and recommends books by applied mathematicians and those written by physicists.
Gingia
Hi all; firstly, I thank all of you who respond to my question in advance.

I'm a mathematics student with an advanced undergraduate background in most of what's associated with 'pure math', and my particular interest is in mathematical logic. I'd really like to teach myself physics - I have taken a year's worth of university physics and I did quite well; however, I feel as if I didn't really learn very much at all beyond how to manipulate particular formulas, as the course was generally populated by pre-med students and thus geared more towards rote memorization than understanding.

Unfortunately, I haven't the credit-space to take more advanced courses in physics, so I'm hoping I can teach myself some.

I would like some book recommendations - ideally I'd like to 'do over' the material I covered in my year of physics and start from scratch. So this means something that would constitute a 'first course in physics', except taught in a way that assumes a relatively strong (in undergraduate terms) mathematical background. After I get my way through this first material, then I'd like to approach modern physics, although I do have some of the requisite mathematical background in differential geometry, abstract algebra, etc.

What books would you recommend?

Thank you all very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at vol. 1 (Mechanics) of Landau and Lifgarbagez's course in theoretical physics. They assume a reasonably high degree of mathematical sophistication, are rigorous, and provide beautiful insight into physics principles.

If you like it, subsequent volumes will take you as deeply into physics as you care to go.

Thanks very much!

After reading the first few pages of 'Mechanics' online, this series of books looks perfect. Thanks a lot!

If you want some insight into how physicists think, I'd start with the Feynman Lectures. The Landau series is also a good recommendation, but requires much more than Freshman physics.

Spivak has recently released his first book in the series of physics for mathematicians, which covers mechanics:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0914098322/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I haven't read it though.

You may want to look at physics books written by applied mathematicians. V.I. Arnold is one such author. There's also Jerrold Marsden, John Baez...eh, can't think of any others, sorry.

Just looking around on amazon.com I found "Geometry, Topology and Physics" by Nakahara, and "The Geometry of Physics" by Frankel.

None of these books are at an elementary level, though, so you may just have to start with ordinary physics books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for the recommendations, everyone.

@qspeechc: I should have been more specific, sorry about that. What I meant by 'starting from scratch' was to go over the material I already knew from elementary physics texts and courses more rigorously. Thanks for the recommendations!

1. What is the difference between physics and pure math?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. Pure math, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of mathematical concepts and structures without any real-world applications. While physics uses mathematical concepts to explain natural phenomena, pure math is more abstract and theoretical.

2. Can a pure math student understand physics without any prior knowledge?

Yes, a pure math student can understand physics without any prior knowledge. However, they may need to put in extra effort to learn the physical concepts and how they relate to mathematical principles. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as calculus, algebra, and geometry to understand physics.

3. How can physics books benefit a pure math student?

Physics books can benefit a pure math student in several ways. They can help them develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. Physics also involves using mathematical equations and formulas, which can enhance a pure math student's understanding and application of mathematical concepts. Additionally, studying physics can broaden a pure math student's perspective and open up new areas of interest and potential career paths.

4. Which physics books are recommended for pure math students?

There are many physics books that can be beneficial for pure math students, but some recommended titles include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, and "Physics for Mathematicians" by Michael Spivak. These books cover the fundamentals of physics and use mathematical concepts to explain them, making them suitable for pure math students.

5. Is it necessary for a pure math student to study physics?

It is not necessary for a pure math student to study physics, but it can be beneficial. Physics can provide a different perspective and application of mathematical concepts, which can enhance a pure math student's understanding and problem-solving skills. It can also open up new opportunities for research and career paths in fields such as engineering, computer science, and finance.