Science Research Project- Quantum Physics

In summary, The conversation discusses a student's interest in doing a science research project on quantum physics. They mention being interested in specific topics such as quantum computing, quantum encryption, quantum biology, and the limitations of quantum physics. However, it is advised that the student should focus on learning the basics of calculus-based physics before delving into quantum mechanics, as it is typically an upper-level course in university. Some book recommendations are also given for those interested in learning more about the subject.
apetrillo14
I am a student, and I want to do a science research project, simply for my own interest. I am very interested in quantum physics, however, I really don't know how to sculpt a project around it. I want to be original: I am interested specifically in quantum computing, quantum encryption, quantum biology, and also the limitations of quantum physics (i.e. NP-complete problems.) Any ideas or advice for possible projects?

Best Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
apetrillo14 said:
I am a student, and I want to do a science research project, simply for my own interest. I am very interested in quantum physics, however, I really don't know how to sculpt a project around it. I want to be original: I am interested specifically in quantum computing, quantum encryption, quantum biology, and also the limitations of quantum physics (i.e. NP-complete problems.) Any ideas or advice for possible projects?

Best Regards.

are you a college student, what field? what is your level in physics. and do you know programming(C++ ... ).

I am a high school student, with limited physics knowledge. I have some programming experience with C++ and Python. Despite my lack of physics knowledge, however, i am perfectly willing to learn whatever is necessary to fulfill this project. thanks for responding, by the way.

apetrillo14 said:
I am a high school student, with limited physics knowledge. I have some programming experience with C++ and Python. Despite my lack of physics knowledge, however, i am perfectly willing to learn whatever is necessary to fulfill this project. thanks for responding, by the way.

I am sorry to say, but quantum mechanics is a bit out of your reach. It is usually taken in the 3rd year of physics undergrad curriculum in most universities, making it an upper level course. Quantum mechanics is a very math-heavy course, which would make it quite inaccessible for high school students. Find something else for now. Then when the time comes, you can do that. But be patient and learn the basics of calculus-based physics before u even think about a rigorous exposure to QM. Cheers :)

apetrillo14 said:

You need to learn a huge amount. Start with what Wikipedia says about the concepts you are interested in, and then find out from Wikipedia (and, after a while, also from other sources to guard against certain misrepresentations in wikiedia) about every concept used in their explanations, until this process stabilizes.

A. Neumaier said:
You need to learn a huge amount. Start with what Wikipedia says about the concepts you are interested in, and then find out from Wikipedia (and, after a while, also from other sources to guard against certain misrepresentations in wikiedia) about every concept used in their explanations, until this process stabilizes.

apetrollo: I recommend looking at The New World of Mr Tompkins: George Gamow's Classic Mr Tompkins in Paperback by Gamow and Stannard. It is pretty effective at introducing the some of the ideas of relativity qualitatively with the option of exploring some of the math. I've found it to be pretty accessible to my high school students.

Lisa Randall's Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions is also worth checking out.

1. What is Quantum Physics?

Quantum Physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons, at a microscopic level. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a quantum level.

2. Why is Quantum Physics important?

Quantum Physics has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in technology, medicine, and other scientific fields. It has also challenged our traditional notions of reality and has opened up new avenues for exploration and innovation.

3. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Physics?

Some common applications of Quantum Physics include transistors in electronic devices, lasers in medical equipment, and cryptography for secure communication. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation.

4. What are some key principles of Quantum Physics?

Some key principles of Quantum Physics include superposition, which states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and uncertainty, which states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Other principles include entanglement, wave-particle duality, and quantization.

5. How do scientists conduct research in Quantum Physics?

Scientists use a variety of methods and tools to conduct research in Quantum Physics, including mathematical models, experiments, and simulations. They also collaborate with other scientists and utilize advanced technologies, such as particle accelerators and quantum computers, to study and understand the complex phenomena of the quantum world.