Thermodynamics (work, pressure, volume)

In summary, a heat engine uses a gas at an initial pressure of 1000 Pa and volume .1m3 to do work in a four-step process. In the first step, the gas does no work because the volume is constant. In the second step, the gas does 500 J of work by increasing the pressure to 10,000 Pa at constant volume. In the third step, the gas does 50 J of work by decreasing the pressure back to 1,000 Pa at constant volume. In the final step, the gas returns to its initial state, resulting in a total work done of 450 J for one complete cycle. The change in internal energy is assumed to be 0 J for one complete cycle,
Jgoshorn1

Homework Statement

A heat engine does work by using a gas at an initial pressure of 1000 Pa and volume .1m 3. Step-by-step, it then increases the pressure to 10,000 Pa (at constant volume), increases the volume to .15m3 (at constant pressure), decreases the pressure back to 1,000 Pa (at constant volume) and returns the volume back to .1m3 (at constant pressure).

1)How much work is done by the gas during the first step?

2)How much work is done by the gas during the second step?

3)How much work is done by this heat engine in one complete cycle?

4) What is the change in internal energy during the first step?

5)What is the change in internal energy during the second step?

6)What is the change in internal energy over one complete cycle?

7)How much heat is added to the gas in the first step?

8)How much heat is added to the gas in the second step?

9) How much heat is added to the gas in one complete cycle?

Homework Equations

dW=P*dV
dU=Q-W

U=internal energy, Q= heat, w=work, p=pressure, v=volume

The Attempt at a Solution

1) W = 0 J because volume is constant)
2)dW=P(dV) = 10000(.15-.1) = 500
3)third step dW=P(dV) = 1000(.15-.1) = 50 so I just did work=500-50=450?

4)-5) I'm not sure how to find Q so I can use the dU=Q-W equation. Is there another equation that I don't know about? I don't have enough information for Q = ((kAdT)t)/L
Any hints here??
6) I think it would be 0J because the internal energy is a state function and it starts and ends the same.

7)-9) will be a piece of cake once I get 4)-5)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing was given about the kind of the gas? Is it an ideal gas? If so, the internal energy is proportional to T: U=Cv* n* T where Cv is the specific heat capacity and n is the number of moles of the gas. For an ideal gas, Cv=f/2 R where f is the degrees of freedom of its molecules.

ehild

I suppose I can assume it is an ideal gas because all of the previous problems we have done have been dealing with ideal gases only. But even if it were implied, how would I find the number of moles of gas or the degree of freedom??

You get n*R from the ideal gas law, and f=3 for mono-atomic gas molecules, 5 for two-atomic and 6 for three or more-atomic ones. Nothing was said about the kind of gas? Try f=5. The molecules of air, N2 and O2 are two-atomic. Or just give the result in terms of parameter f.

ehild

Hello! I would like to provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, let's define some variables for easier understanding:
- P1 = initial pressure (1000 Pa)
- V1 = initial volume (0.1 m^3)
- P2 = final pressure (10,000 Pa)
- V2 = final volume (0.15 m^3)

1) The first step is an isochoric process (constant volume), therefore no work is done by the gas.
2) The second step is an isobaric process (constant pressure), therefore work done is dW = PdV = P(V2-V1) = 10,000(0.15-0.1) = 500 J.
3) In one complete cycle, the gas goes through 4 steps, with 2 isochoric processes and 2 isobaric processes. Therefore, the total work done by the gas in one cycle is: W = 0 + 500 + 0 + 500 = 1000 J.
4) To find the change in internal energy during the first step, we can use the equation dU = Q - W. As the volume is constant, there is no work done, therefore dU = Q. To find Q, we can use the first law of thermodynamics: Q = dU + W. As the initial and final volumes are the same, the change in internal energy is 0, therefore Q = 0 + W = 0 + 0 = 0 J.
5) To find the change in internal energy during the second step, we can use the same equation dU = Q - W. As the pressure is constant, there is no work done, therefore dU = Q. To find Q, we can use the first law of thermodynamics: Q = dU + W. As the initial and final pressures are the same, the change in internal energy is 0, therefore Q = 0 + W = 0 + 500 = 500 J.
6) As you correctly stated, the change in internal energy over one complete cycle is 0 J because it starts and ends at the same state.
7) To find the amount of heat added to the gas in the first step, we can again use the first law of thermodynamics: Q = dU + W. As we found in 4), the

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed in systems, and how these processes affect the properties of matter.

2. What is work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another through a mechanical process. This can include processes such as compression, expansion, and stirring. Work is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories.

3. How does pressure relate to thermodynamics?

Pressure is a key concept in thermodynamics as it is directly related to the volume and temperature of a system. In a closed system, an increase in pressure will result in a decrease in volume, while a decrease in pressure will result in an increase in volume. Pressure also affects the boiling and melting points of substances.

4. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in thermodynamics?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the behavior of gases. It states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles of gas, and inversely proportional to its volume. This law is used to calculate the properties of gases under different conditions.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to real-world applications?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in our daily lives, from power generation to refrigeration. It helps us understand and improve the efficiency of various processes, such as engines and refrigerators, and plays a crucial role in fields such as chemical engineering, materials science, and environmental science.