Dc motor + battery + solar panel

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in designing a solar assisted driving mechanism for a bicycle. They are looking for information on compatible battery specifications for a 24v 1hp dc motor and the necessary solar panel specifications to charge the battery. This is for a project, not homework, and the individual is looking for resources and guidance on their project.
boonsiang
i would like to design a solar assisted driving mechanism for my bicycle?
What is the compatible battery specifications to power 24v 1hp dc motor and the necessary solar panel specification to charge the battery? I'm kinda clueless in this so any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
boonsiang said:
i would like to design a solar assisted driving mechanism for my bicycle?
What is the compatible battery specifications to power 24v 1hp dc motor and the necessary solar panel specification to charge the battery? I'm kinda clueless in this so any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like schoolwork. What is the context of the question?

it is not exactly homework but more of a project for me to do... it is really subjective but I'm trying to design a working motor system to assist the pedaling of a bicycle

boonsiang said:
it is not exactly homework but more of a project for me to do... it is really subjective but I'm trying to design a working motor system to assist the pedaling of a bicycle

Since it is schoolwork, I will move this thread to the Homework Help forums. You are also required to do the bulk of the work, so please show us what you have done so far. What resources have you been reading about electric motors, motorized bicycles, batteries and solar recharging systems? Have you done some calculations that show how big a panel and how long in the sunshine your system would have to sit in order to recharge the battery? I think you will find that it will take several days in the sunshine to let you ride for an hour or two...

I would recommend starting by researching the power requirements of your 1hp DC motor and the efficiency of different types of batteries. This will help determine the minimum battery capacity needed to power the motor and the type of battery that would be most compatible.

Next, consider the power output of the solar panel you plan to use. The size and efficiency of the solar panel will determine how much energy it can generate and how quickly it can charge the battery. It is important to ensure that the solar panel is capable of producing enough energy to fully charge the battery in a reasonable amount of time.

Additionally, it is important to consider the location and climate in which the solar panel will be used. Different regions and weather conditions can affect the efficiency of solar panels, so it is important to choose a panel that is suitable for your specific location.

It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field of solar energy and battery technology to get specific recommendations and advice on the best specifications for your project. Good luck with your solar-assisted bicycle design!

1. How does a DC motor work with a battery and solar panel?

A DC motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When connected to a battery, the motor receives direct current (DC) from the battery and uses it to create a magnetic field that interacts with the motor's coils to produce motion. When connected to a solar panel, the motor can also receive DC power from the panel's photovoltaic cells, which convert sunlight into electricity.

2. What is the purpose of using a battery with a DC motor and solar panel?

The battery serves as a storage unit for the electrical energy generated by the solar panel. This allows the DC motor to continue running even when there is no sunlight available. The battery also helps regulate the amount of power being sent to the motor, ensuring that it receives a consistent and steady flow of electricity.

3. How does a solar panel charge a battery connected to a DC motor?

A solar panel uses photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity. When the panel is exposed to sunlight, the cells create a flow of electrons, which is then sent to the battery through a charge controller. The charge controller regulates the amount of power being sent to the battery, preventing overcharging or undercharging.

4. Can a DC motor run solely on solar power without a battery?

Yes, a DC motor can run solely on solar power without a battery. However, it would only run when the sun is shining and there is enough sunlight to generate electricity. This may not be practical for most applications as the motor would not run at night or on cloudy days.

5. Is it possible to charge a battery with a solar panel while the DC motor is running?

Yes, it is possible to charge a battery connected to a DC motor with a solar panel while the motor is running. As long as the solar panel is receiving sunlight and generating electricity, the motor will continue to run and the excess energy will be used to charge the battery. This is a common setup for solar-powered devices that require continuous operation.