Midwesterners take a meteorite shower

• Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteorite
In summary, there was a meteor shower in 2003 that was visible in the Chicago area and was seen by some people. It was unexpected and appeared as one large meteor that broke up in the atmosphere.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Too cool!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/03/28/meteor.shower.ap/index.html

any PF members from that area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I was actually outside having a smoke with a buddy at the time. I was looking up at the sky, as usual, the entire time except for about 2 seconds when it went by. My friend saw it though and couldn't stop talking about it for at least 5 minutes.

I guess the number one rule for meteor watching should be "don't blink".

WHAT?? THEY TOOK THE METEOR SHOWED?!? NOOOOOOO!

I heard it was quite the showing too. I live near Chicago, which was where the largest of the meteors struck, unfortunately I was not out that night, but I did hear of a few people that saw it. Was this an unexpected meteor, I had heard nothing of it until I saw it on the news!

It also seemed to me like it was only one large meteor that hit and broke up, instead of many small meteor's.

Originally posted by kyle_soule
It also seemed to me like it was only one large meteor that hit and broke up, instead of many small meteor's.
That's correct.
It broke up while in the atmosphere.

1. What is a meteorite shower?

A meteorite shower, also known as a meteor shower, is a celestial event where a large number of meteors can be seen streaking across the night sky. These meteors are small pieces of debris from comets or asteroids that burn up as they enter Earth's atmosphere.

2. Why is it significant that Midwesterners are experiencing a meteorite shower?

Midwesterners experiencing a meteorite shower is significant because it is a rare occurrence for this region. Meteorite showers are more commonly seen in areas with less light pollution, making it a special event for those living in the Midwest.

3. When is the best time to see the meteorite shower in the Midwest?

The best time to see a meteorite shower in the Midwest is typically during the late evening and early morning hours, when the sky is darkest. It is also important to check the weather forecast and try to find an area with minimal light pollution for optimal viewing.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when viewing a meteorite shower?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when viewing a meteorite shower. It is recommended to find a safe and open area, away from buildings or trees, to avoid any potential hazards. It is also important to dress warmly and bring a blanket or chair to sit on while watching the shower.

5. How often do meteorite showers occur in the Midwest?

Meteorite showers occur throughout the year, but some are more frequent than others. The most well-known and consistent meteorite shower in the Midwest is the Perseid shower, which happens every August. Other showers, such as the Quadrantids and Geminids, occur less frequently but can also be seen in the Midwest.