Proving Limits: δ = min(δ1,δ2) Meaning Explained

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, the terms "δ = min(δ1,δ2)" in the chapter on proving limits means that the distance δ is equal to the smaller of the two distances δ1 and δ2, and if they are equal, then δ can be set to either one.
Miike012
The chapter I am reading is on proving limits... The terms "δ = min(δ1,δ2)" has came up a few times but what does it mean?

My guess is that the distances δ1 and δ2 are some where in the interval of the distance δ about some x value.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
The chapter I am reading is on proving limits... The terms "δ = min(δ1,δ2)" has came up a few times but what does it mean?

My guess is that the distances δ1 and δ2 are some where in the interval of the distance δ about some x value.

Typically, min(δ1,δ2) means the smaller of δ1 and δ2, or at least it does in most books and papers. Does your source really not have a glossary of notation?

RGV

Ok it says the min of two numbers x and y is denoted min(x,y).. so I am guessing what I posted above that "min(δ1,δ2)" means δ1= δ if δ1<δ2 and vise versa. is that right?

Miike012 said:
Ok it says the min of two numbers x and y is denoted min(x,y).. so I am guessing what I posted above that "min(δ1,δ2)" means δ1= δ if δ1<δ2 and vise versa. is that right?
It's the other way around.

δ = δ1 if δ1 is the smaller of the two numbers, and

δ = δ2 if δ2 is the smaller of the two numbers.

If δ1 = δ2, then set δ to either number.

1. What is the purpose of using the delta (δ) symbol in proving limits?

The delta symbol represents the distance between the input value and the limit point in the limit definition. It is used to determine how close the input value needs to be to the limit point in order to have a desired output.

2. How is the value of delta (δ) calculated in proving limits?

The value of delta is usually calculated by considering the constraints given in the limit definition. It is typically the minimum of two values, δ1 and δ2, which are determined by the given conditions of the limit.

3. What is the significance of using the minimum function (min) in the delta (δ) calculation?

The minimum function ensures that the chosen value of delta satisfies both conditions given in the limit definition. It guarantees that the input value will be within the required distance from the limit point, regardless of which condition is more restrictive.

4. How does the value of delta (δ) affect the accuracy of the limit proof?

The value of delta directly affects the accuracy of the limit proof. A smaller value of delta will result in a more accurate proof, as it will require the input value to be closer to the limit point. Conversely, a larger value of delta may result in a less precise proof.

5. Can the value of delta (δ) be arbitrarily chosen in proving limits?

No, the value of delta cannot be arbitrarily chosen. It must be determined based on the given conditions of the limit. Choosing an incorrect or arbitrary value of delta may result in an invalid or incorrect proof.