Help I need to find out whether activation energy can be calculated this way ?

In summary, two individuals conducted an experiment and recorded the temperature and rate constant for a reaction. The temperature values differed by one degree. One individual calculated the activation energy using their rate constant and temperature, but was unable to find the frequency factor A. They are seeking assistance with determining if their calculation is accurate.
himynameis
i did an experiment, i noted the tempreture and found rate constant.
My friend did the same experiment and she found rate constant and noted the tempreture.. The tempreture differs by one degree. Can i calculate tempreture like this...?

S2O82-(aq) + 2 I-(aq)  SO42-(aq) + I2(aq)

Friend: K1: 0.0594 at t1: 21oC = 294 K
Ours = K2: 0.06 and t2: 22oC. 295 K

In (0.0594 /0.06) = Ea / 8.314 x ( 1/ 294- 1/295 )
-0.01 = Ea / 8.31 x (1.153x10-5)
Ea= 0.01x 8.31 / 1.153x10-5)
Ea = 7207.28 J/mol

= 7.207 KJ mol

Is this possible?

please help me! :( So for this reaction is the Ea 7.207

I would have done Just used my rate constant and tempreture to wwork out Ea but I don't know the Frequency factor A! I can't find this anywhere...

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help me is this possible?

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is often represented by the symbol Ea and is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

2. How is activation energy calculated?

Activation energy can be calculated using the Arrhenius equation, which takes into account the rate constant, temperature, and pre-exponential factor. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the reaction rate at different temperatures and using the Arrhenius plot method.

3. Can activation energy be calculated in any other way?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating activation energy, such as the Eyring equation, transition state theory, and the Hammond postulate. However, the Arrhenius equation is the most commonly used and straightforward method.

4. What are the factors that affect activation energy?

The factors that affect activation energy include the nature of the reactants, concentration, temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher temperature and lower activation energy can increase the rate of a reaction, while a catalyst can lower the activation energy required for a reaction to occur.

5. Why is understanding activation energy important?

Activation energy is important because it determines the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs. It also helps us understand the energy pathways and mechanisms involved in a reaction, which can aid in the design of more efficient and sustainable chemical processes.