Calculating Gas Density at Altitude: Simple Equation for Terminal Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gas density and its relationship to altitude in the context of the terminal velocity equation. The speaker is looking for a simple equation that can calculate gas density without the need for additional factors such as dew point. They also mention finding a formula for calculating gas density at a specific height.
MegaMan64
Hi I have been reading a lot about how to calculate gas density and I am stumped. What I would like to know is how to calculate the gas density as apposed to altitude so I can use it in the terminal velocity equation found here http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/termv.html
I would like to know if there is a simple equation that can calculate the gas density with only a few factors and not with dew point and other factors that I have seen in Meteorology.
Thanks for any help with this

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi I found an formula for calculating gas density at height it anyone needs it
p = 100 * ((44331 * 514 - z)/ (11880 * 516))
p is density and z is altitued in meters.

What is the equation for calculating gas density at altitude?

The equation for calculating gas density at altitude is ρ = ρ0 * e^(-z/H), where ρ is the density at altitude, ρ0 is the density at sea level, z is the altitude, and H is the scale height.

How is terminal velocity related to gas density at altitude?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a gas or liquid. It is directly related to gas density at altitude, as the density of the gas affects the resistance force acting on the object, thus determining its terminal velocity.

What are the units for gas density at altitude?

The units for gas density at altitude are typically kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3) or grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3).

How does altitude affect gas density?

As altitude increases, the density of the gas decreases. This is because the air molecules are more spread out at higher altitudes, resulting in a lower gas density.

What is the significance of calculating gas density at altitude?

Calculating gas density at altitude is important in various fields such as aviation, meteorology, and atmospheric science. It helps in understanding the behavior of gases at different altitudes and predicting the performance of objects (such as airplanes) moving through the atmosphere.