Optimizing Soft Error Pulse Width for CPU Fault Injection

In summary, the individual is seeking to inject faults into a CPU manually but is uncertain about the appropriate soft error (SET) pulse width. They plan to use a random generator but are unsure of the range that should be set. Despite researching, they have not found useful information and most of the results are for inverter SET pulse width. The individual is using a simple processor and running it in modelsim using verilog in order to determine the soft error rate and implement recovery measures. They want to identify which blocks in the processor are causing the most errors and determine the appropriate balance for recovery.
hoheiho

Homework Statement

Hi, I am trying to inject some faults into a CPU manually. But I am not sure what should the soft error (SET) pulse width should be? I know that is different in different case. Therefore, I am going to set up a random generator to generator the SET pulse width. But what range should I set?
I have google the pulse width but it desnot give me any useful information for the range. Most of them are the SET pulse width for inverter.

Best regard
Ivan

Physics news on Phys.org
hoheiho said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I am trying to inject some faults into a CPU manually. But I am not sure what should the soft error (SET) pulse width should be? I know that is different in different case. Therefore, I am going to set up a random generator to generator the SET pulse width. But what range should I set?
I have google the pulse width but it desnot give me any useful information for the range. Most of them are the SET pulse width for inverter.

Best regard
Ivan

What computer are you using? Why are you doing this? What if your "soft error" crashes the PC for good?

berkeman said:
What computer are you using? Why are you doing this? What if your "soft error" crashes the PC for good?

Thanks for your reply
I am using a simply processor and run it in modelsim using verilog. I want to find out the soft error rate and do the recovery. Before the recovery stage, I need to see which block in the processor cause the most errors rate and then consider how much recovery blocks should I put in. I know ALU and control block normally cause the most fault in CPU but I would like to make the "balance" between each block for recovery.

What is a soft error pulse width in CPU?

A soft error pulse width in CPU refers to the duration of a temporary error or glitch in the operation of a computer's central processing unit (CPU). This error is caused by the impact of cosmic rays or other sources of radiation on the electronic components of the CPU, which can lead to incorrect data being processed or stored.

How does a soft error pulse width affect CPU performance?

A soft error pulse width can cause disruptions in the normal functioning of the CPU, leading to delays in processing and potentially affecting the overall performance of the computer. If the error occurs frequently, it can also impact the stability and reliability of the system.

What factors can contribute to soft error pulse widths in CPUs?

There are several factors that can contribute to soft error pulse widths in CPUs, including the type and quality of materials used in the manufacturing of the CPU, the design and layout of the chip, and the sensitivity of the electronic components to radiation. Environmental factors such as altitude and proximity to radioactive materials can also play a role.

How can soft error pulse widths be reduced in CPUs?

There are various techniques that can be used to reduce the occurrence of soft error pulse widths in CPUs. These include using special materials and designs that are less susceptible to radiation, implementing error correction codes that can detect and correct errors, and shielding the CPU from external sources of radiation. Regular testing and maintenance can also help identify and mitigate any potential issues.

Can soft error pulse widths cause permanent damage to a CPU?

In most cases, soft error pulse widths do not cause permanent damage to CPUs. The errors are usually temporary and can be corrected through error detection and correction methods. However, if the error is not detected and corrected, it can potentially lead to data corruption or system crashes, which may cause permanent damage if not addressed promptly.