Research with DARPA | Physics & Math Double Major

• Thread starter thunder282
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of doing research with DARPA in the field of astrophysics. It is mentioned that DARPA primarily manages technical programs and does not have labs or do technical work in-house. It is suggested to contact them directly for more information.
thunder282
Hey I double major in physics and math. I do plan on going to grad school once I get my B.S. I was wondering would I be able to do research with DARPA if I went into astrophysics are do they usually just want engineers? Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked with DARPA a little in the past as a contractor. My observation was that DARPA's mission is to manage technical programs, they don't seem to do technical work in-house, they don't have labs. All the people I worked with there were military officers. Doesn't sound too promising for a civilian new grad to find work there, suggest you contact them directly about your query.

OF

My experience with DARPA is the same. They don't do research so much as contract to have others do research. As to whether they would give a grant to an astrophysicist, that would depend on what the atsrophysicist could do for them.

1. What is DARPA and what does it do?

DARPA stands for Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and is a research agency within the United States Department of Defense. Its main objective is to develop and execute cutting-edge technology and research projects for national security purposes.

2. How does DARPA support research in the fields of physics and math?

DARPA has various programs and initiatives that support research in the fields of physics and math. These programs provide funding and resources to universities, research institutions, and companies to conduct research and develop technologies in these areas. Examples include the Quantum Information Science and Mathematics (QISM) program and the Fundamental Limits of Photon Detection (FLPD) program.

3. What are the benefits of conducting research with DARPA?

Conducting research with DARPA can provide access to cutting-edge technology, resources, and funding that may not be available through traditional research funding sources. Additionally, working with DARPA can lead to collaborations with other researchers and experts in the field, as well as potential career opportunities.

4. How can I get involved in research with DARPA as a physics and math double major?

There are a few ways to get involved in research with DARPA as a physics and math double major. One way is to apply for internships or fellowships through DARPA's website. Another way is to collaborate with a professor or researcher who is already working on a project funded by DARPA. Networking and attending conferences related to DARPA's research areas can also provide opportunities to get involved.

5. What are some current research projects at DARPA related to physics and math?

Some current research projects at DARPA related to physics and math include the Quantum-Assisted Sensing and Readout (QuASAR) program, which aims to develop new quantum sensors for use in defense applications, and the Assured Micropower (AMP) program, which focuses on developing new power sources for small, remote sensors. The agency also has ongoing research in areas such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and advanced materials, which can also involve applications of physics and math.