Modern Quantum Mechanics by J. J. Sakurai

In summary, "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai and Jim J. Napolitano is a highly recommended textbook for those studying quantum mechanics. The book starts with fundamental concepts such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment and kets, bras, and operators. It also covers quantum dynamics, theory of angular momentum, symmetry in quantum mechanics, approximation methods, identical particles, and scattering theory. The book is well-written and builds a consistent mathematical framework to describe the results and explore the theory in depth. However, some chapters, particularly the time-independent perturbation theory and scattering theory, may require additional resources for better understanding. Overall, it is a comprehensive and enjoyable read.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters

Code:
Contents

1. Fundamental Concepts
1.1 The Stern-Gerlach Experiment
1.2 kets, Bras, and Operators
1.3 Base Kets and Matrix Representations
1.4 Measurement, Observables, and the Uncertainty Relations
1.5 Change of Basis
1.6 Position, Momentum, and Translation
1.7 Wave Function in Position and Momentum Space
Problems

2.Quantum Dynamics
2.1 Time Evolution and the Schrodinger Equations
2.2 The Schrodinger Versus the Heisenberg Picture
2.3 Simple Harmonic Oscillator
2.4 Schrodinger's Wave Equation
2.5 Propagators and Feynman Path Integrals
2.6 Potential and Gauge Transformations
Problems

3.Theory of Angular Momentum
3.1 Rotations and Angular Momentum Commutation Relations
3.2 Spin 1/2 System and Finite Rotations
3.3 SO(3),SU(2),and Euler Rotations
3.4 Density Operators and Pure Versus Mixed Ensembles
3.6 Orbital Angular Momentum
3.7 Addition of Angular Momenta
3.8 Schwinger's Oscillator Model of Angular Momentum
3.9 Spin Correlation Measurements and Bell's Inequality
3.10 Tensor Operators
Problems

4.Symmetry in Quantum Mechanics
4.1 Symmetries, Conservation Laws and Degeneracies
4.2 Discrete Symmetries, Parity,or Space Inversion
4.3 Lattice Translation as a Discrete Symmetry
4.4 The Time-Reversal Discrete Symmetry
Problems

5.Approximation Methods
5.1 Time-Independent Perturbation Theory: Nondegenerate Case
5.2 Time-Independent Perturbation Theory: The Degenerate Case
5.3 Hydrogenlike Atoms: Fine Structure and the Zeeman Effect
5.4 Variational Methods
5.5 Time Dependent Potentials: The Interaction Picture
5.6 Time Dependent Perturbation Theory
5.7 Application to Interactions with the Classical Radiation Fields
5.8 Energy Shift and Decay Width
Problems

6.Identical Particles
6.1 Permutation Symmetry
6.2 Symmetrization Postulate
6.3 Two Electron System
6.4 The Helium Atom
6.5 Permutation Symmetry and Young Tableaux
Problems

7.Scattering Theory
7.1 The Lippmann-Schwinger Equation
7.2 The Born Approximation
7.3 Optical Theorem
7.4 Eikonal Approximation
7.5 Free Particle States: Plane Wave Versus Spherical Wave
7.6 Methods of Partial Waves
7.7 Low Energy Scattering and Bound States
7.8 Resonance Scattering
7.9 Identical Particle and Scattering
7.10 Symmetry Consideration in Scattering
7.11 Time Dependent Formulation of Scattering
7.12 Inelastic Electron Atom Scattering
7.13 Coulomb Scattering
Problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using this book right now, and it's a fantastic book. I actually bought the international edition, which is identical in content to the U.S. version, and the paper quality is surprisingly good. I'd reccomend buying that if you don't mind softcover and have the chance (sorry Jim!).

Anyways, this is how a physics textbook should be written. There's not too much in the way of examples, which is unfourtunate, but all of Quantum Mechanics is built from the ground up starting with a handful of postulates and the experimental results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment. The author(s) shows how you can build up a consistent mathetmical framework to describe the results, and then you explore the theory in more and more depth and complexity.

Fantastic book and a pleasure to read.

dipole said:
Using this book right now, and it's a fantastic book. I actually bought the international edition, which is identical in content to the U.S. version, and the paper quality is surprisingly good. I'd reccomend buying that if you don't mind softcover and have the chance (sorry Jim!).

Anyways, this is how a physics textbook should be written. There's not too much in the way of examples, which is unfourtunate, but all of Quantum Mechanics is built from the ground up starting with a handful of postulates and the experimental results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment. The author(s) shows how you can build up a consistent mathetmical framework to describe the results, and then you explore the theory in more and more depth and complexity.

Fantastic book and a pleasure to read.

I used the book for my two semester grad quantum mechanics course. Indeed, it's a great text. Chapters 1 ,2, 3, 4, and 6 are extremely well written.

Chapters 5 (especially the time ind. pert. theory section) and Chapter 7 leave a lot to be desired in terms of clarity and readability. They read more like a list of equations rather than a text one is meant to learn from. This is due to the fact that these chapters were pieced together by others after Sakurai had died.

Anyone trying to learn time independent perturbation theory or scattering theory (Chapt. 7) from this book would do well to supplement those sections with another text or detailed lecture notes.

G01 said:
I used the book for my two semester grad quantum mechanics course. Indeed, it's a great text. Chapters 1 ,2, 3, 4, and 6 are extremely well written.

Chapters 5 (especially the time ind. pert. theory section) and Chapter 7 leave a lot to be desired in terms of clarity and readability.

I became curious about this book for these subjects alone. Is it that bad? How does the treatment of scattering and approximation methods in Sakurai compare to Cohen-Tannoudji's?

Very Complete. I first switched between Merzbacher. Powell and Craseman, and Messiah in the late 70's (I kept switching when I did not like the explanation in each of them throughout the course(s). I did like using only Sakurai when I studied QM in the late 80's). I liked Powell and Craseman discussing the need for QM in the early 20th century and photoelectric effect etc. Sakurai exposes the student to a strictly quantum system from the beginning which I do not like as much.

1. What is the main focus of "Modern Quantum Mechanics by J. J. Sakurai"?

The main focus of this book is to provide a thorough and comprehensive understanding of the principles and applications of modern quantum mechanics.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

This book is primarily written for graduate-level students in physics and other related fields who have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics.

3. What sets this book apart from other textbooks on quantum mechanics?

This book is known for its intuitive and clear explanations, as well as its inclusion of advanced topics such as quantum information theory and the theory of open quantum systems.

4. Does this book cover experimental techniques in quantum mechanics?

While the focus of the book is on theoretical concepts, it does include discussions on experimental techniques and their applications in modern quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

A basic understanding of linear algebra and classical mechanics is recommended, as well as a familiarity with the fundamentals of quantum mechanics.