Lake vanishes overnight in Russia

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake
In summary, villagers in central Russia were shocked when their town's lake suddenly disappeared overnight. The lake, located in the village of Bolotnikovo, was replaced by a muddy basin and local officials suspect it was sucked into an underground cave system. Emergency crews searched the lake bed and found that trees had been dragged down with the water. It is still considered dangerous to be on the lake bed. This is not the first time a lake has disappeared in this area, as similar incidents occurred 70 years ago. This phenomenon has been dubbed "magic tarns" in Norway.
fourier jr
never heard of this happening before

Lake vanishes overnight in Russia
Last Updated Fri, 20 May 2005 23:05:05 EDT
CBC News

MOSCOW - Villagers in central Russia are mystified by the sudden disappearance, overnight, of the town's lake.

Russia's NTV channel showed a muddy basin where the lake once was, in the village of Bolotnikovo, 250 kilometres east of Moscow. The name of the village translates roughly as "boggy."

Local officials say the lake was probably sucked into an underground cave system.

NTV interviewed local fishermen who had gone to the lake early Friday morning only to discover that something had "pulled the plug" on the lake.

"I looked and there was no water. I thought: 'Oh my God, what's going on?'" said one of the fishermen on TV.

Emergency crew were called out to search the lake bed to see if anyone had been sucked under. Lakeside trees appeared to have been dragged down with the water.

Safety officials say it's still dangerous to be on the lake bed.

Local official Dmitry Klyuev said several houses had been swallowed up under similar circumstances 70 years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/05/20/RussianLake_050520.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phewwwww,i thought someone stole it.

Daniel.

We call them magic tarns in Norway.

dextercioby said:
Phewwwww,i thought someone stole it.

Daniel.

In Soviet Russia, Lakes Drown In You! :rofl:

1. What caused the lake to disappear overnight?

The most likely explanation for a lake disappearing overnight is a phenomenon called "drainage." This occurs when a natural or man-made barrier holding the water in the lake, such as a dam or glacier, suddenly breaks or melts, causing the water to rapidly drain away.

2. Is this a common occurrence?

No, lakes disappearing overnight is not a common occurrence. It is typically a result of a specific and rare event, such as a sudden natural disaster or human intervention.

3. How much water was lost from the lake?

The amount of water lost from a lake can vary greatly depending on the size and depth of the lake, as well as the cause of its disappearance. In some cases, the lake may completely dry up, while in others, only a portion of the water may be lost.

4. What impact does this have on the surrounding environment?

The sudden disappearance of a lake can have significant impacts on the surrounding environment. It can disrupt the balance of ecosystems, cause changes in the water table, and affect the availability of water for plants, animals, and humans.

5. Can the lake ever return?

In some cases, the lake may return if the cause of its disappearance is temporary, such as a drought or a dam being rebuilt. However, if the cause is permanent, such as a shift in the Earth's tectonic plates or human interference, the lake may not be able to return to its previous state.