Applied Math + Theo. Physics major

In summary, the speaker is currently unsure of what they want to do for the rest of their life and is considering pursuing a double major in applied math and theoretical physics. They are also unsure if they should specialize in applied math or switch to pure math, and have questions about the job market and graduate studies for both areas. They are also wondering if it is necessary to have a specialization in order to get into grad school and what career options are available with a double major in applied math and theoretical physics.
bambi13
Hi everyone!
I've been pondering about what i want to do for the rest of my life for a really really long time now, and i still have no idea!
i'm currently pursuing a specialization in applied math (just finished 2nd yr) , but I'm leaning towards doing a double major in applied math and theoretical physics. However, i just am not sure! i like applied math and physics, but i like pure math as well. Plus, i thiink it's better to get a specialization in one area rather than just majors in two areas since i plan to get a ph.D (although I am not sure in what area yet). for a while i was thinking of switching my major to pure math, but that feels risky because the only pure math course I've taken is calculus 1 & 2, and althogh I've enjoyed them, calculus isn't a 100% "Pure math".
So basically my questions are:
1. is it possible to get into grad school with only a major in that area? (ex. will i need to learn some stuff on my own to write the GRE?)
2. if i decide that i don't want to get a ph.D, what jobs are out there for a doublemajorer in Applied Math and Theo. Physics?
3. Is doing a specialization in Applied Math a good idea? (because it seems that most of my applied math profs don't even have a degree in applied math, but in physics, engineering, etc. ie. it seems like the stuff you learn in applied math can be easily learned in physics, so why not just major in physics instead?)
4. what is the job market like for pure math majors? and is it hard to get into pure math grad studies?

sorry for the long post, and i really appreciate your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
2 & 4. Teaching is one. Depending on how far you go will determine what level you will most likely be teaching at.

Hello! It sounds like you have a lot of interests and are trying to figure out the best path for your future. First of all, it's great that you are considering a double major in applied math and theoretical physics. This combination can open up a lot of opportunities for you in both fields. As for your questions:

1. It is possible to get into grad school with only a major in one area. However, it may be beneficial to take some additional courses or do some independent study in the other area to show your interest and knowledge in both. As for the GRE, it covers a variety of subjects, so you may need to do some additional studying to prepare for it regardless of your major.

2. With a double major in applied math and theoretical physics, you could pursue careers in fields such as data analysis, financial modeling, engineering, and research. You could also work in industries that require a strong understanding of both math and physics, such as aerospace or energy. It's important to research and network to find what specific jobs are available in these fields and what skills and experience they require.

3. Pursuing a specialization in applied math can be a good idea, as it allows you to focus on a specific area within the broader field of math. However, as you mentioned, it may also be beneficial to have a strong foundation in other areas, such as pure math, to complement your specialization. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what you are most interested in and what will best prepare you for your future goals.

4. The job market for pure math majors can vary depending on your location and the specific industry you are interested in. Some potential career paths for pure math majors include actuarial science, statistics, and teaching. As for grad studies, it can be competitive to get into a pure math program, but having a strong academic background and relevant experience can increase your chances.

Overall, it's important to explore your interests and consider all your options before making a decision. You can also speak with academic advisors, professors, and professionals in the fields you are interested in to gain more insights and advice. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

1. What is an Applied Math + Theo. Physics major?

An Applied Math + Theo. Physics major is an interdisciplinary field of study that combines the principles and techniques of mathematics and theoretical physics to solve real-world problems and understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates with this major?

Graduates with an Applied Math + Theo. Physics major have a wide range of career opportunities, including positions in scientific research, engineering, data analysis, finance, and academia. They can also pursue graduate studies in fields such as physics, mathematics, or engineering.

3. What skills are developed in this major?

Students in this major develop a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. They also gain critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as the ability to apply mathematical and physical principles to real-world problems.

4. Is this major more focused on theory or practical applications?

This major is a combination of both theoretical and practical applications. Students learn the fundamental theories and principles of mathematics and physics, but also gain hands-on experience in applying these concepts to real-world problems through projects and research opportunities.

5. What is the difference between an Applied Math + Theo. Physics major and a traditional Physics major?

An Applied Math + Theo. Physics major combines the theoretical and mathematical aspects of physics with a strong emphasis on applications. This major is more interdisciplinary, while a traditional Physics major focuses primarily on the principles and theories of physics.