Calculating Electric Fields in a Gieger Counter

To find the electric field at the inner surface of the cylinder?In summary, the conversation discusses using a particular Gieger counter with a wire stretched along its axis to find the electric field at the surface of the wire and the inner surface of the cylinder. The wire has a length of 6 cm, an outer diameter of 1.5 X 10-4 cm, and a tension of 44 N. The potential difference between the wire and the cylinder is 890 volts.
choole
A particular Gieger counter has a metal cylinder with an inner diameter of 2 cm along whose axis is stretched a wire with 44 N of tension. The potential difference between the wire and the cylinder is 890 volts. The wire has a length of 6 cm and an outer diameter of 1.5 X 10-4 cm.
A. To find the electric field at the surface of wire?
B To find the electric field at the inner surface of the cylinder

Vf - Vi = int(E dot ds) from radius of wire to cylinder.
and E = lemda/2piE0r

i tried solving like this but i didn't get the answer. Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me what your goal is? What are you looking for?

Integral said:
It is not clear to me what your goal is? What are you looking for?
To find the electric field at the surface of the wire?

1. How do I calculate the electric field in a Geiger counter?

To calculate the electric field in a Geiger counter, you will need to use the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field in volts per meter, V is the voltage applied to the counter, and d is the distance between the electrodes. The electric field can also be calculated by dividing the potential difference between the electrodes by their separation distance.

2. What units are used to express the electric field in a Geiger counter?

The electric field in a Geiger counter is typically expressed in volts per meter (V/m). However, other units such as kilovolts per centimeter (kV/cm) or kilovolts per millimeter (kV/mm) may also be used.

3. Can the electric field in a Geiger counter be increased?

Yes, the electric field in a Geiger counter can be increased by increasing the applied voltage or decreasing the distance between the electrodes. However, it is important to note that increasing the electric field beyond a certain point can lead to unwanted effects such as sparking and breakdown of the gas-filled chamber.

4. How does the electric field affect the operation of a Geiger counter?

The electric field is a crucial component in the operation of a Geiger counter. It helps to accelerate the charged particles produced by radioactive decay, allowing them to easily ionize the gas molecules in the chamber and create an electrical current. A higher electric field can also improve the efficiency and sensitivity of the counter.

5. Are there any safety concerns when dealing with the electric field in a Geiger counter?

Yes, there are some safety concerns associated with the electric field in a Geiger counter. High voltages are used to create the electric field, which can pose a shock hazard if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to follow all safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment when working with a Geiger counter.