Some Sad, now glad, Canine News

• Thread starter Kurdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, Kurdt's dog Emma passed away suddenly after taking ill 3 days ago. She had a tumor on her spleen that ruptured and caused internal bleeding. Kurdt shared a photo of Emma and thanked everyone for their kind words. Others in the conversation also expressed their sympathies and shared stories of their own experiences with losing pets. Turbo-1 mentioned considering adopting a shelter dog in honor of Emma, and Kurdt later shared pictures of his new Doberman puppies.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My dog Emma died this morning :cry: :frown: She took ill 3 days ago and apparently had a large tumour on her spleen that had ruptured and caused her to bleed internally.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2268/poochor3.th.jpg [Broken]

This is the only image i have on this PC. I was threatening her with a bath :biggrin:

Anyway I'm not sure if there is a memorial thread to lost pets but perhaps we could start one here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear that, man.

That's too bad. If she had no symptoms of illness/discomfort until 3 days ago, that's some small comfort. It stinks when you lose a pet. I still don't want to get another pet because of how devastated my wife and I were after the loss of Turbo (my avatar). My sympathies.

turbo-1 said:
That's too bad. If she had no symptoms of illness/discomfort until 3 days ago, that's some small comfort. It stinks when you lose a pet. I still don't want to get another pet because of how devastated my wife and I were after the loss of Turbo (my avatar). My sympathies.

Thank you. Yes her discomfort was sudden and short lived so I suppose that is some consolation.

Sorry to hear about your puppy Kurdt. It is always hard to loose a pet.:cry:

So sorry. Seriously, they are like members of the family. I refer to my dog as "The member of the family without hands." Glad your pup didn't suffer too long.

I've been feeling like getting a parrot lately. With a lifespan of 50-80 years, it might actually outlive me.

That's so sad I am sorry to hear that. From the picture it looked like Emma was a very sweet and silly dog

Thank you all for the kind words. Its going to be very hard to get used to not having her around in the house.

My sympathies as well. Be comforted by the fact that you'll have lots of great memories of her.

Kurdt said:
Thank you all for the kind words. Its going to be very hard to get used to not having her around in the house.

I know what you mean. When our beagle died last Spring, there were too many empty places. You'd go out in the back yard and were tempted to start counting trees because something just wasn't right.

I'm the opposite of turbo-1. Having your pet die hurts a lot, but the emptiness gets to you even worse. I eventually had to get another dog.

I'm sorry to hear about Emma. It is always terrible day when you lose a good friend. Unfortunately, their relatively short life is the price that we pay for all of their love.

Poor Emma, she was a beautiful pup. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kurdt, your Emma might have had an effect on myself and my wife. We talked about pets again tonight, and are now considering adopting a shelter (abandoned) dog who needs a loving home. Thanks. If the dog is a female, I've got a name picked out. ;-) I hope you don't mind.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear that Kurdt :frown: . I know how it feels to lose a pet. At least there are some good memories to be remembered.

Kurdt said:
My dog Emma died this morning :cry: :frown: She took ill 3 days ago and apparently had a large tumour on her spleen that had ruptured and caused her to bleed internally.

This is the only image i have on this PC. I was threatening her with a bath :biggrin:
I am saddened by the passing of Emma, and for your loss. That it is a wonderful picture.

It is always terrible day when you lose a good friend. Unfortunately, their relatively short life is the price that we pay for all of their love.
Yeah - I outlived many animals with whom I was very close. It is never easy.

turbo-1 said:
Kurdt, your Emma might have had an effect on myself and my wife. We talked about pets again tonight, and are now considering adopting a shelter (abandoned) dog who needs a loving home. Thanks. If the dog is a female, I've got a name picked out. ;-) I hope you don't mind.

Hey no problem Turbo, I would be honoured if you wished to use that name. I can think of no higher tribute.

I'd just like to thank everyone else for their empathy and sympathy. I know I thank you in almost every post in this thread but it means a lot.

Astronuc said:
My wife and I were captivated by ferrets, and they are so inquisitive, engaging and fun that we fell in love with each and every one of them. Unfortunately, it's a rare ferret that can survive 8 years and it's painful to let them go. We used to share their charms with the local kids, and when they came around on Halloween, the local kids didn't holler "trick or treat" - they hollered "where's the ferrets?!" We'd snag a couple of ferrets and let them visit with the kids, and we'd put some candy in the kids' bags, but that didn't matter to them. Years later, when one of the "kids" married the daughter of a friend, he told me that other kids in town wanted to trick or treat with him because he knew the "ferret people" in the big house at the end of the street.

We decided a few months back to get another Dobe. We reserved one with a breeder and the pups were born coincidentally on 15/03/08, exactly 1 year after our Emma died. Heres a couple of pics of 1 day old Doberpups.

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc07379yr9.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc07384rz1.jpg

The puppies mother had a C-section after one became stuck. Unfotunately it died but the 10 other pups survived and the mother and pups are doing well so far.

Congrats! Those pups look so shiny!

Wow, 11 pups is a huge litter. Good luck to the remaining 10!

AWWW so cute! Wow, they really are shiny aren't they?

Our first dog Emma was one of 11 pups as well, and the ***** that just gave birth had 11 pups last time as well.

EDIT: B itch is censored :rofl: I've never been censored as far I know.

Last edited:
Awww, so shiny and cute!

I don't know how I missed the original thread. Emma was adorable.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
I've never been censored as far I know.

It's an automated censor, so it doesn't really have a clue about context. I remember that when I first posted a question about my Mat****a hard-drive it pinged out the middle of the word. :biggrin:

Like that. :grumpy:

Are you getting a little girl puppy or a little boy puppy?

Kurdt said:

condolence, my dear:cry:. My Dog also died last week, she's 8 years old. She's the best pet I'd ever had, so i know how you feel.
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Math Is Hard said:
Are you getting a little girl puppy or a little boy puppy?

It will be a girl pup.

The photos are so precious, to bad they don't come with that new puppy smell. They look great.

VashtiMaiden said:
condolence, my dear:cry:. My Dog also died last week, she's 8 years old. She's the best pet I'd ever had, so i know how you feel.
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your dog Vashti :frown:

Kurdt said:
We decided a few months back to get another Dobe. We reserved one with a breeder and the pups were born coincidentally on 15/03/08, exactly 1 year after our Emma died. Heres a couple of pics of 1 day old Doberpups.

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc07379yr9.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc07384rz1.jpg

The puppies mother had a C-section after one became stuck. Unfotunately it died but the 10 other pups survived and the mother and pups are doing well so far.
Cute puppies! Congrats on the new dog, Kurdt.

During my last year of my undergrad program, I lived with a couple who had a Dobe, named Pearl. She and I got along great. She'd come over to the desk where I was studying and put her head in my lap, or she'd mouth my arm until I petted her. I used to wrestle with her whereby she'd jump at me and I'd sidestep or deflect her with my hands. She was a sweetie! :biggrin:

8 weeks 'til D-day! Congratulations - they all look sweet, so it won't be easy to pick unless one of them really starts bonding with you when you visit.

turbo-1 said:
8 weeks 'til D-day! Congratulations - they all look sweet, so it won't be easy to pick unless one of them really starts bonding with you when you visit.
I believe Kurdt's puppy is pre-assigned.

I want to rub the puppy's tummy! Nothing smells sweeter than puppy tummies.

We're fourth in the queue for a girl and there are only 4 girls so we won't have a choice.

I just saw this thread so:
Sorry about your loss!
Congrats on your new puppies!
PS Congrats on your titles! :smile:

Astronuc said:

You've outlived many trees. Heck, you've outlived a couple of mountain ranges.

<h2>1. What is "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"? </h2><p> "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" is a news segment that focuses on heartwarming stories about dogs. It aims to spread positivity and highlight the amazing bond between humans and dogs.</p><h2>2. What kind of stories can I expect to see in "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"? </h2><p> "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" features a variety of stories, including rescue stories, stories of dogs overcoming challenges, and heartwarming moments between dogs and their owners. </p><h2>3. How often does "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" air? </h2><p> "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" is a weekly segment that airs every Sunday evening on our channel. </p><h2>4. Can I submit a story or idea for "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"? </h2><p> Yes, we welcome submissions for "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"! You can send us your story or idea through our website or social media channels. However, please note that not all submissions may be featured on the segment. </p><h2>5. Are there any other segments or shows that focus on dogs? </h2><p> Yes, we have several other segments and shows that feature dogs and their amazing stories. You can check our website for more information on these programs. </p>

1. What is "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"?

"Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" is a news segment that focuses on heartwarming stories about dogs. It aims to spread positivity and highlight the amazing bond between humans and dogs.

2. What kind of stories can I expect to see in "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"?

"Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" features a variety of stories, including rescue stories, stories of dogs overcoming challenges, and heartwarming moments between dogs and their owners.

3. How often does "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" air?

"Some Sad, now glad, Canine News" is a weekly segment that airs every Sunday evening on our channel.

4. Can I submit a story or idea for "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"?

Yes, we welcome submissions for "Some Sad, now glad, Canine News"! You can send us your story or idea through our website or social media channels. However, please note that not all submissions may be featured on the segment.

5. Are there any other segments or shows that focus on dogs?

Yes, we have several other segments and shows that feature dogs and their amazing stories. You can check our website for more information on these programs.

Back