Average Rate of Change (word problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses a word problem involving a construction worker dropping a bolt from a high-rise building. It then focuses on finding the average velocity during the first, third, and eighth seconds using the formula for average velocity. The conversation highlights the importance of understanding the difference between position and velocity and provides a step-by-step explanation of how to evaluate the formula for average velocity.
xCanx
I'm having trouble understanding this word problem.

A construction worker drops a bolt while woring on a high-rise building 320m above the ground. After t seconds, the bolt has fallen a distance of s metres, where
s(t) = 320-5t^2, o < t < 8

a. Find the average velocity during the first, third and eighth seconds.

I have to use f(x + h) - f(x)/h

I got 5(t +h)

The answer is 5m/s for the first one.

How do I get the rest of them (third and eighth second)?

Physics news on Phys.org
the "first second" is from t= 0 to t=1, of course: average speed during the first second is s(1)- s(0) since here h= 1. The "third second" is between t= 2 and t= 3 so average speed during the third second is s(3)- s(2) and the "eighth" second is between t= 7 and t= 8 so average speed for the eighth second is s(9)- s(8).

HallsofIvy said:
the "first second" is from t= 0 to t=1, of course: average speed during the first second is s(1)- s(0) since here h= 1. The "third second" is between t= 2 and t= 3 so average speed during the third second is s(3)- s(2) and the "eighth" second is between t= 7 and t= 8 so average speed for the eighth second is s(9)- s(8).
Thank you :)

so I plug in h into 5(t+h)^2?

Virgina.jpg

this is what I have so far

You are making the problem too difficult. Velocity is the change of position over time. The formula you list is the formula for position.

[tex]\frac{s(t+h)-s(t)}{h}[/tex] is the formula for average velocity.

It is a very wordy way of saying [tex]\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta y}[/tex],

which is the change in y over the change in x. (<--slope)

Now in order to see this, you know that [tex]\Delta y =y_{final}-y_{initial}[/tex] right? Can you see how that is the same as [tex]s(t+h)-s(t)[/tex] ?

It is saying: take the position of some initial time (t) PLUS some amount h and subtract the original initial time from it.

So in your second problem after 3 seconds, since your initial time is 0 and your final time is 3 then t+h means 0+3 which is of course 3.

You see h is the change in time from 0 to 3.

So now back to the problem; you should evaluate it as
[tex]v_{avg}=\frac{s(3+0)-s(o)}{3}[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the average rate of change?

The average rate of change refers to the change in a quantity over a specific period of time. It is calculated by finding the difference between the initial and final values, and dividing it by the time elapsed.

How do I calculate the average rate of change?

To calculate the average rate of change, you need to first identify the initial and final values of the quantity and the time period over which the change occurred. Then, subtract the initial value from the final value and divide the result by the time elapsed.

What is the significance of the average rate of change?

The average rate of change is important because it helps us understand how a quantity is changing over time. It can also be used to make predictions and analyze trends in data.

How is the average rate of change used in real life?

The average rate of change is used in various fields such as economics, physics, and biology. For example, it can be used to calculate the growth rate of a population, the speed of a moving object, or the change in stock prices over a period of time.

Can the average rate of change be negative?

Yes, the average rate of change can be negative. This indicates that the quantity is decreasing over time. For example, if the average rate of change of a company's profits is negative, it means that their profits are decreasing over time.