Westell 327W Wireless Modem/Router

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, my friend has one DSL modem with a built in router. The forum discusses this particular modem/router. There are two methods of using the modem/router: as a modem only and as a router with LAN and DHCP control.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
A friend has one with his DSL service. I was planning to put in a wireless router (which I may still do depending on need) and discovered that the Westell 327W modem also has a built in router with cable/wireless capability.

There is a forum that deals with DSL matters, and it addresses this particular system.

I found this useful.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12262394

Note in method one -
Assign your Versalink router an IP address that is in the same class as your Linksys router. Meaning if assigned your Linksys router has an IP address of 192.168.50.1, then you give the Versalink router the IP address of 192.168.5.2. Use the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
192.168.5.2. should be 192.168.50.2 - the third numbers (octet) should be the same.

One can use the modem/router strictly as a modem and let the separate router be the network (LAN and DHCP) controller.

I'm used to a dump modem without the router built in.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I had a separate DSL modem and wireless router years back, and when we moved out here, the phone company supplied a DSL modem/router with both wireless and corded ethernet capabilities. Now I have a very expensive/currently useless Linksys wireless router kicking around. If you want it, say the word and I'll ship it to you.

Well I may have a surplus wireless router now, since I didn't check my friend's system first and just assumed he had a DSL modem, and I didn't think to ask first or check it out. Had I known that he had a Westell 327W or equivalent then I wouldn't have bothered buying a wireless router. On the other hand, depending on how well the Westell works, we might still use the Linksys for added security.

My friend is looking for the Westell documentation because I need to access the setup/config pages which are password protected.

So folks - keep track of your documentation - particularly usernames and passwords. Passworks should be 8+ characters including special characters like @#$%^&*!, but not so complicated you can't remember them.

turbo-1 said:
I had a separate DSL modem and wireless router years back, and when we moved out here, the phone company supplied a DSL modem/router with both wireless and corded ethernet capabilities. Now I have a very expensive/currently useless Linksys wireless router kicking around. If you want it, say the word and I'll ship it to you.

Do you still have that extra Linksys router? If so, if it is "G", does it still need a new home?

Thanks!

Astronuc said:
Well I may have a surplus wireless router now, since I didn't check my friend's system first and just assumed he had a DSL modem, and I didn't think to ask first or check it out. Had I known that he had a Westell 327W or equivalent then I wouldn't have bothered buying a wireless router. On the other hand, depending on how well the Westell works, we might still use the Linksys for added security.

My friend is looking for the Westell documentation because I need to access the setup/config pages which are password protected.

So folks - keep track of your documentation - particularly usernames and passwords. Passworks should be 8+ characters including special characters like @#$%^&*!, but not so complicated you can't remember them.

Finally got my parents to get DSL & Verison sends them that Westell (Model Number
D90-327W15-06). What a pain! My mom runs into trouble every now & again, and now I can't netmeeting and/ or rdc. Saw directions, but can't get it 2 work right...

Last edited:
takenitlight said:
Do you still have that extra Linksys router? If so, if it is "G", does it still need a new home?

Thanks!
It WAS a G and it is in a new home already. Sorry!

turbo-1 said:
It WAS a G and it is in a new home already. Sorry!

Thanks 4 the quick response!

Have a great weekend!

1. What is the purpose of a Westell 327W wireless modem/router?

The Westell 327W is a device that combines the functions of a modem and a router, allowing you to connect to the internet and create a wireless network for your devices to access.

2. Can the Westell 327W be used with any internet service provider?

No, the Westell 327W is specifically designed for use with Verizon's DSL internet service. It may not be compatible with other internet service providers.

3. How do I set up the wireless network on my Westell 327W?

To set up the wireless network, you will need to connect your computer to the Westell 327W using an Ethernet cable. Then, access the device's settings by typing its IP address into your web browser. From there, you can configure the wireless network by setting a network name and password.

4. What is the range of the wireless signal from the Westell 327W?

The range of the wireless signal can vary depending on factors such as the size of your home and any obstacles that may block the signal. However, on average, the Westell 327W has a range of approximately 150-200 feet.

5. Can I connect multiple devices to the Westell 327W wirelessly?

Yes, the Westell 327W has the ability to connect multiple devices to the wireless network. However, the more devices that are connected, the slower the internet speeds may be for each device.