Elastic collision 2 dimension unequal masses not at rest

In summary: The final velocity of the ball in the x-direction is 4.5 m/s, and the final velocity of the ball in the y-direction is 2.7 m/s.
grrrphysics
Please help! i know how to do a elastic collisions in 1 dimension, but the 2D is too confusing...here is my problem:

You have a blue ball with a mass of 1.5 kg moving with a speed of 4.5 m/s in a direction below the positive x-axis. You have a red ball with a mass of 3.6 kg moving with a speed of 2.7 m/s in a direction to the left of the negative y-axis. When the balls collide, find the final velocity (magnitude and direction) for each of the two balls.

Physics news on Phys.org
grrrphysics said:
Please help! i know how to do a elastic collisions in 1 dimension, but the 2D is too confusing...here is my problem:

You have a blue ball with a mass of 1.5 kg moving with a speed of 4.5 m/s in a direction below the positive x-axis. You have a red ball with a mass of 3.6 kg moving with a speed of 2.7 m/s in a direction to the left of the negative y-axis. When the balls collide, find the final velocity (magnitude and direction) for each of the two balls.

simple way to solve this is by using galilean transformation equations and turn one of the balls into a stationary one and just use the 1D formulas

grrrphysics said:

Conservation of momentum holds in both the x- and y-directions.

1. What is an elastic collision in 2 dimensions?

An elastic collision in 2 dimensions is a type of collision where two objects collide and bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What is the difference between equal and unequal masses in elastic collisions?

In an equal mass elastic collision, both objects have the same mass and the collision occurs at the midpoint between them. In an unequal mass elastic collision, the objects have different masses and the collision occurs at a point closer to the more massive object.

3. What is the formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is v1f = ((m1-m2)v1i + 2m2v2i)/(m1+m2) and v2f = ((m2-m1)v2i + 2m1v1i)/(m1+m2), where v1f and v2f are the final velocities of the two objects, and v1i and v2i are the initial velocities.

4. How does the angle of collision affect the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The angle of collision does not affect the final velocities in an elastic collision. The only factors that affect the final velocities are the masses and initial velocities of the objects.

5. Can an elastic collision occur if the objects are not at rest?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur even if the objects are not at rest. The objects can have initial velocities in any direction, as long as the total momentum and kinetic energy are conserved after the collision.