A mini project regarding soundwaves?

• Thread starter callumbrad128
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the individual is seeking help for an experiment to create a device that will turn on a light whenever a specific sound is heard. They have limited knowledge in this field and are asking for an explanation of the theory behind it and the type of apparatus needed. They clarify that this is not a homework project, but rather a personal experiment. The individual is open to solutions that involve buying components or building them from scratch. They are also wondering if it is possible for a device to only recognize one sound and what type of component would be needed for this.
callumbrad128
Hi, I have already made a post, which did help (so thanks all for repling) but I am trying to conduct an experiment, and have limited knowledge in this field! Basically my project is to make something, so when a blender is on 'my project' hears this sound, a light comes on (prefer a light, but it could be anything which indicates the noise has been heard). To make things harder for me, is this possible for the light to come on when only a particular noise is heard! If this is possible, could someone explain the theory behind this and the type of apparatus need to make this!

I hope this doesn't come across as if it were "a homework project"! I am infact 22 and just an experiment I want to carry out for my own pleasure! (hopefully everyone can see, that by my lack of knowledge it would def not be anything to do with a homework)

Any help would be muckly appriaciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you doing this project primarily because you want to learn about the science involved, or are you primarily interested in the results?

For example, would you be interested in solutions that don't require you to design and build circuits?

cheers for the reply davec426913. well adventually i want to build it. (as long as its cost effective) but obviously its a worthless project without a bit of knowledge about it. so i would be greatful for the solutions which either help me to build it or not.

callumbrad128 said:
cheers for the reply davec426913. well adventually i want to build it. (as long as its cost effective) but obviously its a worthless project without a bit of knowledge about it. so i would be greatful for the solutions which either help me to build it or not.
WhatI mean is: you might be able to buy the components ready-made, or you might build them from scratch.

I suggest you ask around on some electronics boards. Here's one:
http://diykit.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=13944

Well I do what it as a final project! So if I can buy it, GREAT, if I have to build it, so be it! But does that mean it's possible for a devise to just 'hear' one sound! And what type of component is it(just for future reference)
many thanks

1. What is the purpose of a mini project regarding soundwaves?

The purpose of a mini project regarding soundwaves is to gain a better understanding of the properties and behavior of soundwaves. This can involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, and creating models to explain how soundwaves travel and interact with different materials.

2. What are some potential topics for a mini project on soundwaves?

Some potential topics for a mini project on soundwaves include the Doppler effect, resonance, diffraction, and the relationship between frequency and pitch. Other ideas could explore the applications of soundwaves, such as in music, communication, or medical imaging.

3. How can I conduct an experiment for a mini project on soundwaves?

To conduct an experiment for a mini project on soundwaves, you will first need to identify a research question or hypothesis related to soundwaves. Then, you can design and set up your experiment, gather data, and analyze and interpret your results. It is also important to follow proper safety guidelines and obtain necessary materials or equipment for your experiment.

4. Can I use technology in my mini project about soundwaves?

Yes, technology can be a valuable tool in conducting a mini project about soundwaves. For example, you could use software to visualize soundwaves or record and analyze data from experiments. You could also use technology to create simulations or models to better understand the behavior of soundwaves.

5. How can I make my mini project about soundwaves more engaging?

To make your mini project about soundwaves more engaging, you could incorporate hands-on activities, demonstrations, or multimedia elements. You could also consider presenting your project in a creative or interactive format, such as a video or infographic. Additionally, involving real-life examples or applications of soundwaves can make your project more relevant and interesting to your audience.