Exploring REU Opportunities: Join the Discussion

In summary: I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.
sutupidmath
Hi all,

Since it has been sort of a tradition to open these kind of threads, i thought i might open this one so everyone can post things related to REU's. Like, which REU's you are applying to, and the like.Personally, I am still in the process of searching for potential REU's. So far, I have decided to apply for

1. SMALL REU at Williams Colleges and
2. Williams and Mary REU.Best of luck to you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey!

Nice idea :)

I'm also still in the process of getting them done, but I plan on applying to:
1 - SMALL
2 - Emory
3 - Cornell
4 - Penn State
5 - Mount Holyoke
6 - not an REU, but PCMI's Undergraduate Summer School.

I think these are all really competitive, so I may apply to a couple more.

Good luck to you too!

lilli said:
6 - not an REU, but PCMI's Undergraduate Summer School.

I am also applying to this one.

I was wondering if someone would start this thread! Last year when I was applying to places this forum was a big help in knowing what to expect.

This year I'm applying to...

SUNY Potsdam
California State University, San Bernardino
Grand Valley State University
James Madison University
Fairfield University

and maybe others (to be determined). I'm finalizing my decision by Tuesday at which point I'll ask for my letters of recommendation.

My list of REUs (in no particular order)

1. Fairfield
2. Cornell
3. Iowa
4. Wisconsin - Eau Claire (SUREPAM)
5. Nebraska

With any luck, I'll get in /somewhere/. My ace in the hole is the URM status. : )

still deciding a bit!

I just emailed in my applications to 8 programs. Didn't receive any confirmation from any of them, is this normal or should I ask if they received it?

^Of all the REUs I applied to (10), I received an automated email from about half, and no form of acknowledgment from the others. Admittedly, I applied to physics REUs, but I imagine it is the same, and very much depends on the institution. If you're looking for an acknowledgment from an actual person, I doubt you'll get one, since REUs receive so many applications.

In these statements, when they refer to a single page statement, do they mean one that is single-spaced or double-spaced? I found one that explicitly said double, and the ones that have the information that would go into a statement within the application tend to have word requirements that are closer to double spaced. On the other hand, I've asked two friends and they thought that it would be single spaced.

Alternatively, I suppose, how long are they meant to be in general as far as number of words is concerned?

Mine were all between 250 and 700 words. Some places had an upper limit of 400 or 500 words; that seemed to be the norm.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Was able to ask some friends today as well and they said the same thing pretty much.

I went to Cornell last summer, anyone know the chances of getting in a second time?

pergradus said:
I went to Cornell last summer, anyone know the chances of getting in a second time?

Only if you're female or a minority.

The degree of discrimination of these programs is bothering. I did an engineering reu at cornell last year and the make-up was 70% female.

Hey,

I'm new here, but I thought I should add some info to this thread. SMALL has started to send out offers. I got a call earlier today.

Does anyone know anything about the REU University of Minnesota at Minneapolis?

Has anyone heard back from any of the REU's you've applied yet?

gocubs said:
Hey,

I'm new here, but I thought I should add some info to this thread. SMALL has started to send out offers. I got a call earlier today.

What research topic did you apply for in SMALL?

sutupidmath said:
What research topic did you apply for in SMALL?
Multidimensional continued fractions.

gocubs said:
Multidimensional continued fractions.

Congratulations on the offer! SMALL is definitely one of the best.

Interesting side note: do they send out offers by groups? That is, do they decide on the continued fractions group first, then the geometry group etc.? I know one other person who got an early offer (2 days ago) and she too was admitted to the continued fractions group.

I was admitted into the SMALL commutative algebra group yesterday.

Duluth came back today.

PhDorBust said:
Duluth came back today.

Good news or bad?

I heard from someone who got rejected but made it to the shortlist that all spots were filled by Sunday night.

Yeah, I was rejected from Duluth just today. Nothing was mentioned about a shortlist, though.

Anyone knows if SMALL already gives out the offers for the geometry group? For all who were accepted into Small, congratulations! Did you guys all get selected into your first choice of preferences?

Last edited:
zpconn said:
Good news or bad?

Bad.

I received acceptance from UCLA RIPS program today. They don't let you pick your project though, and some of the projects sound incredibly boring. =/ On plus side, you get your own office.

ghjk said:
Anyone knows if SMALL already gives out the offers for the geometry group? For all who were accepted into Small, congratulations! Did you guys all get selected into your first choice of preferences?

I too am interested in seeing if anyone has heard back from some of the other groups.

CharmedQuark said:
I too am interested in seeing if anyone has heard back from some of the other groups.

It seems SMALL has one of the earliest deadlines. At least in my case this is true: the other programs to which I've applied have deadlines February 21-25 so even if one were to be a top pick, one would probably not be notified until late this week or early next week.

I know from last year, all positions for SMALL were filled up on 2/26 -> as in that was the day they sent the email to all remaining applicants that they had no positions left.

gblob331 said:
I know from last year, all positions for SMALL were filled up on 2/26 -> as in that was the day they sent the email to all remaining applicants that they had no positions left.

Well then there is still some hope for those of us who didn't apply to the commutative algebra or continued fractions groups.

Has anyone applied to the ergodic theory group at small and has been accepted? Thanks.

someguy111 said:
Has anyone applied to the ergodic theory group at small and has been accepted? Thanks.

I know of someone who accepted an offer to this group several days ago.

Oh. Congratulations to him/her! I was put on the shortlist about a week ago. I really hope that there is still a chance for me.

someguy111 said:
Oh. Congratulations to him/her! I was put on the shortlist about a week ago. I really hope that there is still a chance for me.

How do you know about the shortlist? Anyone gets accepted into the geometry group yet?