Proving Constant Angle of Tangent Lines to a Curve with y=0 and z=x

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the tangent lines to the curve \alpha (t)=(3t,2t^2,2t^3) make a constant angle with the line y=0 and z=x. The speaker has taken the derivative of the right-hand side of the equation cos(\gamma (t)) = \frac{\alpha '(t) \cdot v}{|v| |\alpha '(t)|} with respect to t, where v=(x,0,x), in order to show that if the derivative is zero, then the angle is constant. However, the speaker has not achieved a zero derivative and is seeking assistance in finding the error. Another speaker suggests that perhaps the original statement was meant
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have this question: Show that the tangent lines to the curve [tex]\alpha (t)= (3t,2t^2,2t^3)[/tex] make a constant angle with the line y=0 and z=x.

Now what I have done is, well obviously we have:
[tex] (1)cos(\gamma (t)) = \frac{\alpha '(t) \cdot v}{|v| |\alpha '(t)|}[/tex] So what I have done is to take the derivative of the RHS in (1) wrt t, where v=(x,0,x).
My reasoning is that if the derivative is zero then the angle is constant.

My problem is that I don't get zero, where did I get it wrong?
:confused::cry:

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If we're supposed to show that the tangent vectors of [itex]\alpha[/itex] make a constant angle with the tangent vectors of that line, then it seems to me that what we have to show is that [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\big(\alpha'(t)\cdot(1,0,1)\big)=0[/tex] for all t. This is obviously not true, so I'm wondering if he might have meant something else. But I don't see how he could have meant something that makes the claim true.

Well, I guess you also have a copy of the book right?

Anyway, here's a scan for the others.

question 1.

Attachments

• DoCarmo1.png
    DoCarmo1.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 378
I don't have a copy of the book, but I don't mind downloading a pdf for purposes like this. I have skimmed the first few pages now. I didn't see any hints that he might have meant something different.

For me 'copy' doesn't necessarily mean hard copy.

Thanks, anyway.

1. What is "Baby Do-Carmo's question?"

"Baby Do-Carmo's question" refers to a mathematical problem posed by Brazilian mathematician Manfredo do Carmo, which asks whether it is possible to find a closed curve in three-dimensional space that has both constant curvature and constant torsion at every point.

2. Why is "Baby Do-Carmo's question" significant?

This question is significant because it challenges the fundamental understanding of curvature and torsion in differential geometry. It also has practical applications in areas such as computer graphics and robotics.

3. What is the current progress on solving "Baby Do-Carmo's question?"

As of now, "Baby Do-Carmo's question" remains unsolved. However, there have been some progress made in understanding the problem, including the development of various techniques and tools to approach it.

4. How is "Baby Do-Carmo's question" related to other mathematical concepts?

"Baby Do-Carmo's question" is related to concepts such as differential geometry, topology, and the theory of curves and surfaces. It also has connections to other unsolved problems in mathematics, such as the Plateau's problem.

5. What are the potential implications of solving "Baby Do-Carmo's question?"

If "Baby Do-Carmo's question" is solved, it could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of geometry and have potential applications in fields such as physics and engineering. It may also pave the way for further developments in differential geometry and related areas of mathematics.