Recommended Algebra Books - Ask for Help Here!

In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations for good algebra books and someone suggests a book called "Elementary Algebra" by Henry Sinclair. Another person recommends "Introductory Algebra" by Lial and explains that the problems in the original book are more advanced than the level of an algebra 1 course. The speaker then asks if the recommended book is also advanced.
Miike012
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, I tryed posting in the learning materials section but an error occurred when trying to post.
Currently I am reading a book called " Elementry Algebra " by Henry Sinclair.. Great book.
My question is, are there other good algebra books that anyone can recommend?
thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Miike012 said:
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, I tryed posting in the learning materials section but an error occurred when trying to post.
Currently I am reading a book called " Elementry Algebra " by Henry Sinclair.. Great book.
My question is, are there other good algebra books that anyone can recommend?
thank you.
I was wondering where you were getting those obscure algebra problems from. Those problems are quite above the level of "Elementary Algebra" or "Algebra I" that students study today. I'm not sure you'll find a textbook, currently used by schools, that will approach this level.

FWIW, I like http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Introductory-Algebra/9780321557131.page" [Broken] by Lial, because the teaching is done in the text. Buy a used, older edition and you can get it for cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

eumyang said:
I was wondering where you were getting those obscure algebra problems from. Those problems are quite above the level of "Elementary Algebra" or "Algebra I" that students study today. I'm not sure you'll find a textbook, currently used by schools, that will approach this level.

FWIW, I like http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Introductory-Algebra/9780321557131.page" [Broken] by Lial, because the teaching is done in the text. Buy a used, older edition and you can get it for cheap.

Someone from this forum actually recommended the book I am currently reading that's how I found it.
And thank you for the recommendation, I will check it out right now.

eumyang said:

you mentioned that these problems are more advanced than an algebra 1 course... Is this book you recommended advanced?

I am not an expert in algebra textbooks, but I can offer some general advice on how to choose a good one. First, look for a book that has clear explanations and examples. This will help you understand the concepts better. Additionally, make sure the book has plenty of practice problems with step-by-step solutions so you can check your understanding and improve your skills. It's also helpful to find a book that has real-world applications of algebra, as this can make the material more interesting and relevant. Lastly, consider asking for recommendations from your math teacher or other students who have had success with a particular algebra textbook. Good luck with your studies!

1. What makes a good algebra book?

A good algebra book should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of difficulty levels to challenge the reader. It should also have visuals such as diagrams and graphs to aid in understanding.

2. What are some recommended algebra books for beginners?

Some recommended algebra books for beginners include "Algebra for Beginners" by Reuben Hersh, "Algebra I for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling, and "Algebra Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen.

3. Are there algebra books specifically for self-study?

Yes, there are algebra books specifically designed for self-study. Some popular options include "Algebra: A Self-Teaching Guide" by P. H. Selby, "Algebra: A Complete Introduction" by Hugh Neill and Rachel Hill, and "Algebra for Self-Tuition" by A. D. Gardiner.

4. Are there algebra books for advanced learners?

Yes, there are algebra books for advanced learners. Some recommended options are "Advanced Algebra" by Anthony W. Knapp, "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, and "Algebra: Chapter 0" by Paolo Aluffi.

5. Can I find algebra books for specific topics or exams?

Yes, there are algebra books that focus on specific topics or exams. Some examples include "Algebra 2: An Incremental Development" by John H. Saxon Jr. for high school algebra, "Algebra for College Students" by Mark Dugopolski for college algebra, and "The Humongous Book of Algebra Problems" by W. Michael Kelley for test preparation.