In which order should I study the following?

• Thread starter cesaruelas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's acquisition of Schuam series books for studying various advanced topics in math and physics. They ask for suggestions on the order in which to study the books and offer to share them with others. The conversation also mentions the importance of not relying solely on these books for education. A suggested order of study is provided, grouping the books into three tiers based on their level of difficulty. The conversation also includes confusion and questions about some of the book titles and their content.
cesaruelas
Ok so I got hold of a good amount of schaum series books that I would like to study.
The most advanced topic in math I know so far is basic differential and integral calculus and I can deal rather good with calculus-based introductory courses in physics (Newtonian mechanics).

The books are:
advanced algebra
abstract algebra
modern algebra
fourier analysis
vector analysis
astronomy (algebra-based intro)
advanced calculus
differential equations
electromagnetism
statistics
applied physics (algebra-based intro)
analytic geometry
geometry
college mathematics
theoretical mechanics
probability and statistics
General topology
complex variable
real variable

In which order would you suggest that I study them? Also, if anyone would like one of this books I could send them to you or upload them here (I don't know if that's possible). Some of them are in spanish, though so, yeah...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't want to be a downer but I don't think its a good idea to get your whole education from the Schuams outline series. Though some of them are good.

deluks917 said:
I don't want to be a downer but I don't think its a good idea to get your whole education from the Schuams outline series. Though some of them are good.

I agree with you, I will be using those on topics I already know as review material and the ones I don't know as an introduction, for I am going to take most of these topics later on in college anyway. Thanks for your reply!

Not exactly sure what many of these course titles even mean, or what their pre-reqs are.. But I tried splitting it up as best as I could off their vague titles. I split it into 3 tiers where you could (probably) learn anything within the same tier at the same time. But the order in my listing still does matter a bit. Namely, taking real analysis should be before complex analysis, etc.

I did it out of boredom (took like 5 minutes) and my general inclination to classify things. Also, I strongly agree. You probably won't get much (even an intro) out of learning these online unless you are extremely rigorous and dedicated; this means doing actual problems rather than some passive learning experience.

Tier 1:
modern algebra [is this middle school algebra, or another name for abstract algebra?]
advanced algebra [is this just more middle school algebra?]
geometry [high school geometry? not sure on this one either]

Tier 2:
astronomy (algebra-based intro)
electromagnetism
statistics
applied physics (algebra-based intro)
probability and statistics

college mathematics [what is this..?]
advanced calculus
differential equations

Tier 3:
theoretical mechanics

vector analysis [I assume this is (mainly) linear algebra?]
real variable [I assume this is real analysis?]
abstract algebra
complex variable [I assume this is complex analysis?]
fourier analysis
General topology
analytic geometry [uh.. I would have some relation to arithmetic/algebraic geometry]

I would suggest studying the books in the following order:

1. College mathematics - This will provide a solid foundation for the other topics and help refresh your knowledge of basic math concepts.
2. Analytic geometry - This will build upon your knowledge of basic geometry and prepare you for more advanced topics.
3. Real variable - This will introduce you to the concepts of limits, continuity, and convergence, which are important for understanding advanced calculus.
4. Differential equations - This is a fundamental topic in math and physics, and it will help you understand more complex concepts in electromagnetism and mechanics.
5. Advanced calculus - This will expand upon your knowledge of basic calculus and prepare you for more advanced topics like Fourier analysis and vector analysis.
6. Vector analysis - This is an important topic in physics and will help you understand concepts in electromagnetism and theoretical mechanics.
7. Fourier analysis - This is a valuable tool for understanding signals and systems, and it will also prepare you for advanced topics like complex variable and general topology.
8. General topology - This is a foundational topic for advanced mathematics and will help you understand abstract algebra and complex variable.
9. Abstract algebra - This is a broad and important topic in mathematics, and it will help you understand concepts in modern algebra and algebra-based introductory astronomy.
10. Modern algebra - This is a more advanced topic in algebra and will build upon your knowledge of abstract algebra.
11. Complex variable - This is an essential topic for understanding advanced mathematics and physics, and it will also prepare you for topics like Fourier analysis and general topology.
12. Probability and statistics - This is a crucial topic in both math and science, and it will help you understand and analyze data in your studies.
13. Theoretical mechanics - This will build upon your knowledge of Newtonian mechanics and prepare you for more advanced topics like electromagnetism.
14. Electromagnetism - This is a fundamental topic in physics and will build upon your knowledge of theoretical mechanics.
15. Applied physics (algebra-based intro) - This will provide practical applications for the concepts you have learned in electromagnetism.
16. Astronomy (algebra-based intro) - This will introduce you to the basics of astronomy and provide a practical application for your knowledge of algebra.
17. Geometry - This will build upon your knowledge of analytic geometry and provide a foundation for more advanced topics.
18. Advanced

1. "Should I study the subjects in order of difficulty?"

It is not necessary to study subjects in order of difficulty. It is more important to prioritize based on your individual strengths and weaknesses.

2. "Is there a specific order that will help me retain information better?"

There is no one specific order that works for everyone. It is important to experiment and find what works best for you. Some people may benefit from studying in a chronological order, while others may find it better to mix up the subjects.

3. "Should I study the subjects in alphabetical order?"

Studying in alphabetical order may help with organization, but it is not necessarily the most effective way to learn. It is important to prioritize and focus on the subjects that require more attention and time.

4. "Does the order of subjects affect my overall performance in exams?"

The order of subjects may have a small impact on your performance, but it is not the determining factor. What is most important is how well you have prepared and understood the material in each subject.

5. "Is there a recommended order for studying these subjects?"

There is no one recommended order for studying subjects. It is important to find a method that works best for you and to prioritize based on your individual needs and understanding of the material.