Why isnt there a dps3d hybridisation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hybridization in coordination chemistry, specifically the absence of dsp3d hybridization. The speaker mentions that outer orbital complexes consist of only outer d-orbitals and inner orbital complexes consist of only inner d-orbitals. However, this concept is no longer relevant and it is now more common to distinguish between high spin and low spin complexes. The reason for the absence of dsp3d hybridization is due to the vastly different size and energy of the 3d and 4d orbitals in the same element. The outer d orbitals are typically too high and diffuse to participate in bonding.
jd12345
I know questions of "why" regarding micriscopic world can't be generally answered but still any reason why dsp3d hybridisation isn't there.
I was studying coordination chemistry and there is outer orbital complex consisting only of outer d-orbitals and inner orbital complex consisting of only inner d-orbital so i was wondering if there is both - a dsp3d hybridisation

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean with inner and outer d orbitals. Can you provide some examples of the kind of complexes you are talking about?

in transition metals like Fe , Mn, Co, Cr when complex are formed it either uses the 3d orbital or the 4d orbital ( talking of the 3d series metals)
there can be sp3d2 hybridisation or sp3d (here the 4d orbital is used so its outer orbital complex) while in dsp2 and d2sp3 its is inner d-orbital complex

However this is not much relevant to my question.
I was simply asking - " Why isn't there a dsp3d hybridisation"?

Nowadays (later than, say, 1960) no one would any longer assume that 4d orbitals play any role in the bonding in transition metals from the first row, neither is d orbital hybridization relevant in main group elements.
The whole concept of outer and inner complexes is also dubious. Nowadays one would rather distinguish between high spin and low spin complexes.

jd12345 said:
I was simply asking - " Why isn't there a dsp3d hybridisation"?

The 3d and 4d orbitals are of vastly different size and energy in the same element. Hence not both of them can contribute on an equal footing in a hybrid orbital. Generally the outer d orbitals are energetically too high and too diffuse to participate in bonding (though they contribute some percent to bonding energy as polarization functions).

ok thank you

1. Why is hybridization important in chemistry?

Hybridization is important in chemistry because it allows for the formation of new molecular orbitals, which can lead to the creation of new compounds with unique properties. It also helps to explain the bonding in molecules and predicts the molecular geometry.

2. What is the difference between sp2 and sp3 hybridization?

The main difference between sp2 and sp3 hybridization is the number of hybrid orbitals formed. In sp2 hybridization, three hybrid orbitals are formed, while in sp3 hybridization, four hybrid orbitals are formed. Additionally, sp2 hybrid orbitals have a trigonal planar geometry, while sp3 hybrid orbitals have a tetrahedral geometry.

3. Can elements other than carbon undergo hybridization?

Yes, elements other than carbon can also undergo hybridization. Hybridization is a phenomenon that occurs when atoms need to form bonds with other atoms to achieve a more stable electron configuration. This can happen with elements such as nitrogen, oxygen, and sulfur.

4. Why is there no dp3 hybridization?

The reason there is no dp3 hybridization is that d orbitals have higher energy than s and p orbitals, so they are not typically involved in bonding. The hybridization process involves mixing atomic orbitals with similar energies to form new hybrid orbitals. Since there is a significant energy difference between s, p, and d orbitals, they do not mix to form hybrid orbitals.

5. Are there any exceptions to the octet rule in hybridization?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the octet rule in hybridization. Elements in the third period and beyond can have more than eight valence electrons in their outermost shell due to the availability of d orbitals. This is known as expanded octet and is commonly seen in molecules such as SF6 and PCl5.